What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File Info

Tinyb

I recently upgraded my PC in lieu of my "dying on its feet" old lag of a machine.
It came with Windows 10 ..nice looking but takes a bit of getting used to. I installed my Photoshop CS6 on the machine with no problems.

Now the Problem............... I do some freelance photography work and when I forward the images to the various recipients I use the File - File Info - and add the details of the image such as who is in the image. When I email the image(s) to anyone when they open it this FILE INFO is stripped from it. When I had my old PC and Photoshop CS6 this worked perfectly.

I have checked the preferences and can't see anywhere in there to resolve the issue.

Its doing my head in and if anyone can help I would be forever grateful.

MB

Tom Mann

Guru
Tinyb - To get to the bottom of this, why don't you post an example of one of the files for which the recipients can't see the info you expect them to see.

If the size of the example file is over 3500px in either dimension, our forum uploading software will reject it. In this case, just crop it to under 3500px and re-save it (to a new file name) using exactly the same procedures that you normally use. We are only going to be looking at the IPTC metadata, so the image itself doesn't matter for our current purposes.

At this point, my guess is that either (a) you used PS's "Save for Web" command (which can strip metadata), or (b)you entered the new information into an IPTC field that the viewing software used by your recipients can't read.

Tom M

Last edited:

Tinyb

The description area data just disappears when I email the images to someone. I got someone to email me an image from their machine and enter their name here and I received the image with the name in it when I do it back to them its gone. This has only started when I started using windows 10 when I had vista no problem. I am assuming it has occurred as part of the installation on windows 10. I access the information FIle - File Info......
View attachment 71288

I will now reset the preferences just in case something happened during installation.

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Just as a test I added some file info into an image and emailed it to myself and it's works fine, the file info is still there using Windows 10

Untitled7.jpg

Tinyb

Just as a test I added some file info into an image and emailed it to myself and it's works fine, the file info is still there using Windows 10

View attachment 71289

It has to be down to the way I installed Photoshop on Windows 10. I will clean uninstall it and pay more attention. I will consider this thread closed and if I sort I will come back and add the solution I used

Thanks everyone who contributed to the thread. I always value experiences passed on through forums.

MB

Tinyb

Yes I have used this on a friends machine to clear off and older version and install a newer version. Thanks for the info.

Tom Mann

Guru
The description area data just disappears when I email the images to someone. I got someone to email me an image from their machine and enter their name here and I received the image with the name in it when I do it back to them its gone. This has only started when I started using windows 10 when I had vista no problem. I am assuming it has occurred as part of the installation on windows 10. I access the information FIle - File Info...... View attachment 71288...
I realize that you said in another post that you consider this thread closed, but I must confess that the problem you are experiencing has really raised my curiosity. Unfortunately, the link to the file you attached to the quoted post doesn't work. Could you try again to post an example. I really want to get to the bottom of this.

Also, one more question: I know that you had someone send you a file, but have you done what Ged did and email yourself a file? I strongly suggest this because you really don't know every last detail of how someone else prepared their file to send to you, and the devil is in the details in investigations like this.

Thanks,

Tom M