What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with making PDF

jekana

Hello PS Crew,

I started updating my portfolio, and got problem when exporting to PDF. PS doesn't want to export (a normal gray) rectangle. He just doesn't exist on PDF. Everything else is fine. I don't see that there is any problem with my file, it's not too big, and PDF size is 6.655 KB.

Image_Size.jpg

Any ideas? (I read somewhere that i should rasterize the rectangle layer, but i don't want that, i need it as a rectangle)

Thanks in advance!!

gedstar

Guru
Hi and Welcome to PSG

How did you make the rectangle, can you upload the PSG here?
Rasterizing it won't effect the shape it will still be a rectangle!

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
OK here's one way round it make a copy of the rectangle shapes and turn off the originals and then rasterize the copies

image1.jpg

View attachment Example2.pdf

P.S. I not sure why your document is not saving the rectangles, when I create a PSD with 2 rectangle shapes it saves them fine as a PDF without rasterizing the layers!
View attachment Untitled-1.pdf

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
OK I think I figured it out you appear to have paths on your shapes, if I select this tool and delete the path on the first shape the shape then print fine

Untitled.jpg

View attachment Example8.pdf

How did you create the shapes?

Last edited:

jekana

Ok, with deleting anchor points it works... but do i have to do it every time?
I am using rectangle tool

Rectangle Tool.jpg

gedstar

Guru
No you shouldn't not sure how the paths got there, just try a new document and draw a shape with the rectangle tool and see if it saves as PDF ok

jekana

Yes, now it's ok... But i draw the rectangle using the same tool.. What is different?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The Rectangle Tool always creates a path even if it's set to shape.

Try using the Rectangular Marquis Tool and filling with the appropriate color.

gedstar

Guru
The Rectangle Tool always creates a path even if it's set to shape.

Yes but Sam the problem the OP had was that there was a path drawn around the shape as I pointed out previously, if I draw a shape and use the Delete Anchor Point Tool you get this message
Untitled.jpg

If you open the OP's PSD and use that tool to delete the paths, the rectangle shape will still be there, so there was obviously a path drawn around the shape with the pen tool preventing the shapes from been saved to the PDF

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Ged, I see what your saying. It's very odd behavior for the path of a shape, you cant seem to delete the path with the Delete Anchor Point Tool. I need to research that one!

If your just wanting to create an editable shape/path, then delete the existing shape and create a new one with the same dimensions.
I've done that using the OP's PSD file and it seems to cure the problem.
Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 7.52.28 PM.png

jekana

But very often i need edges also.. So, rectangle tool is perfect.
Anyhow, PS is now exporting rectangles (drawn with rectangle tool) to PDF. I don't know what changed, coz before he couldn't..?
(sorry, i just would like to understand the problem, so that it doesn't happen again ;) )

gedstar

Guru
Hi

I'm not sure how it would have happened or what caused it but as you can see there's a path drawn with the Pen Tool around the shape and this is what's causing the rectangle not to save to PDF

path.jpg

I haven't been able to replicate this so can't tell you how to prevent it from happening again, it shouldn't though it seems to be just related to this PSD, as you said you can now save shapes to PDF

Something else I noticed you can drag the rectangle around with the Path Selection Tool to create more rectangles maybe Sam can shed some light on this!

image.jpg

P.S. one thing that's what doing and that's resetting PS preferences
More info here
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
But very often i need edges also.. So, rectangle tool is perfect.
I'm not sure to whom your making this reference, but just to let you know that I changed my advice on this issue and I did suggest in post #12 that you delete the existing rectangle and create a new one using just the Rectangle Tool.

jekana said:
Anyhow, PS is now exporting rectangles (drawn with rectangle tool) to PDF. I don't know what changed, coz before he couldn't..?
Yes, of course it is working now that you have used a new rectangle drawn with the Rectangle Tool.

jekana said:
(sorry, i just would like to understand the problem, so that it doesn't happen again ;) )
It seems that both Ged and I can't reproduce the rectangle problem you've had so it's a possibility that we may never know what caused the problem.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ged, have you noticed that the longer rectangle on the bottom also act's in the same odd manner as the smaller one? You can use the Direct Selection Tool and alter the path of the rectangle, but you always have the odd underlying path and shape. It also copies itself. Very strange......................I really would like for this oddity to be solved.

Also, in the OP's psd that I downloaded does not have the path (made with the Pen Tool) that your showing.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's another oddity I have found.

Using the Direct Selection Tool (DST), I can click on the original rectangle to reveal the anchor points.
Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 9.21.15 AM.png

If I GRAB the lower right anchor point and move it, I get an entirely new rectangle........
Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 9.21.41 AM.png

BUT, if I SELECT the lower right anchor point with the DST, I can actually alter the original rectangle.......
Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 9.21.58 AM.png

This odd behavior does not happen with a brand new rectangle that I made!!
Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 9.28.16 AM.png

Very strange!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have found another solution.

Use the DST to select the original rectangle, then merge the shape components.

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 9.37.19 AM.png

Then the original shape will act normally.

gedstar

Guru
I was just about to post this screenshot but I see you see the same as me, you can drag the anchor point with the DST, it's just dam strange.
Yeah I noticed it's fine with a new rectangle shape!, I'm wondering if these shapes where imported from Illustrator, I know the OP said the used the rectangle tool but none of what we're seeing makes any sense and we can't replicate it!

Untitled.jpg

gedstar

Guru
I have found another solution.

Use the DST to select the original rectangle, then merge the shape components.

Yep just tested it and that works :thumbsup:

I just hate it when I can't figure something out :shocked: