What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't open images in CS5

I recently had a lot of problems with my Windows 7 computer and after it was fixed I had to reinstall a lot of my programs including CS5.

Photoshop was working perfectly before I had the problems but now if I'm working on an image and click on File, Save as, (jpeg is chosen) Libraries, Picture Library; a blank window opens and I get the message, 'No items match your search.

At the same time if I go to File, Open, Libraries, Picture Library to open one of my images to work on, I get the same message, 'No items match your search.'

I've never had this problem in the past and obviously I can open the images from other programs or indeed drag them onto the desktop and open them from there when they open as normal. Any ideas what is wrong here?

MrToM

Guru
You don't exactly say what the problem is, just that you get messages....which I assume are just the normal 'Windows' messages and not from PS.

Despite these 'messages', can you still save files to that folder anyway?
Can you save if you go directly via C:\Users\ <username> \Pictures (or My Pictures) and not through a library?
Is your indexing service running? Troubleshoot Indexing Service (MS)
Are there any other 'jpg' files in that folder that windows can find?

Try saving the file regardless of any messages, it should still work. Once you have at least one file in that folder the messages should stop.

Saving directly to that folder and not through any 'library' feature should also work....although being 'windows' anything could happen.

Regards.
MrToM.

You don't exactly say what the problem is, just that you get messages....which I assume are just the normal 'Windows' messages and not from PS.

Despite these 'messages', can you still save files to that folder anyway?
Can you save if you go directly via C:\Users\ <username> \Pictures (or My Pictures) and not through a library?
Is your indexing service running? Troubleshoot Indexing Service (MS)
Are there any other 'jpg' files in that folder that windows can find?

Try saving the file regardless of any messages, it should still work. Once you have at least one file in that folder the messages should stop.

Saving directly to that folder and not through any 'library' feature should also work....although being 'windows' anything could happen.

Regards.
MrToM.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay. I'm a full time carer for my mum so busy most of the time!

I can still save to that directory but not directly from Photoshop. The library contains dozens of folders with thousands of photos. If I try to save a photo to this library as a .jpg I get the 'No items match your search,' message. This message just appears at the top of a blank window. I can still save as you suggest if I go directly via C:\Users\ <username> \Pictures (or My Pictures) and not through a library. If I do that it opens as normal and I can save to any folder.

As an example I copied a photo of my old mum to the desktop. I opened this in Photoshop in the normal way as it only seems to have problems with my picture library. Once open in Photoshop I then tried to save it in my pictures library. I got the usual message, 'No items match your search.' If I click save anyway even though the library is not open I get the following;

Mum.jpg
Class not registered

I have ran the troubleshooter for the indexing service but it came back; Troubleshooting couldn't find any problems.

So to sum up I can open the library containing my photos from anywhere else, just not Photoshop. I can save to that library from anywhere else, just not Photoshop. If I want to open a photo in one of the folders in my pictures library I have to drag it to the desktop first and thren open it in Photoshop from there. I have to do the same thing if I want to save the photo again.

I'm beginning to think this is a Windows problem rather than a Photoshop problem but still have no idea how to sort it.

MrToM

Guru
...I'm beginning to think this is a Windows problem...

Strangely enough I wrote that, and deleted it, at the end of my last post at least three times before settling on not including it.

Its not exactly a 'problem' just the way 'Libraries' work and how PS works.....and how the two don't play together very well.

A windows 'Library' is just a collection of existing folders on your system.
The library system doesn't expect you to save files directly in a 'Library' but rather in a folder contained within it.

PS will look for existing files of the type specified, (in this case .jpg), when you try to save a file.
When PS goes to save a file the first 'folder' it sees is actually a 'Library' folder which as stated above shouldn't have any actual files in it....just folders.....so it doesn't find any and gives that warning.

You CAN save to this library folder and it will stop the warning, in fact you could just save a blank file with a .jpg extension to that folder to suppress the warning...if it bothers you that much.

You don't have the same situation when using the 'Desktop' as this folder is not part of a 'Library'...you are accessing it directly as I suggested and as you have practised.

I can only assume that things worked OK before because you had a '.jpg' file in the Library that PS first looks in....so no warning.

As far as I can tell there is no 'problem' as such, its the same for me too, its just how these two pieces of software work...or not as the case may be.

If you wanted to get round this you could always set up a shortcut to the folders you want to save to therefore bypassing the 'Libraies' altogether...then there wouldn't be a problem.

To be honest I've never known anyone to use 'Save As...' to the jpg format, its usually used for saving the PSD file, favouring 'Save For Web...' (or equivalent), when finally saving out images.

This won't solve whatever problem you think you have but its the more normal workflow.

Also, using the Library system in Windows isn't that common....probably for the reasons you are experiencing.....its just 'nonsense' to other software.

Regards.
MrToM.

Strangely enough I wrote that, and deleted it, at the end of my last post at least three times before settling on not including it.

Its not exactly a 'problem' just the way 'Libraries' work and how PS works.....and how the two don't play together very well.

A windows 'Library' is just a collection of existing folders on your system.
The library system doesn't expect you to save files directly in a 'Library' but rather in a folder contained within it.

PS will look for existing files of the type specified, (in this case .jpg), when you try to save a file.
When PS goes to save a file the first 'folder' it sees is actually a 'Library' folder which as stated above shouldn't have any actual files in it....just folders.....so it doesn't find any and gives that warning.

You CAN save to this library folder and it will stop the warning, in fact you could just save a blank file with a .jpg extension to that folder to suppress the warning...if it bothers you that much.

You don't have the same situation when using the 'Desktop' as this folder is not part of a 'Library'...you are accessing it directly as I suggested and as you have practised.

I can only assume that things worked OK before because you had a '.jpg' file in the Library that PS first looks in....so no warning.

As far as I can tell there is no 'problem' as such, its the same for me too, its just how these two pieces of software work...or not as the case may be.

If you wanted to get round this you could always set up a shortcut to the folders you want to save to therefore bypassing the 'Libraies' altogether...then there wouldn't be a problem.

To be honest I've never known anyone to use 'Save As...' to the jpg format, its usually used for saving the PSD file, favouring 'Save For Web...' (or equivalent), when finally saving out images.

This won't solve whatever problem you think you have but its the more normal workflow.

Also, using the Library system in Windows isn't that common....probably for the reasons you are experiencing.....its just 'nonsense' to other software.

Regards.
MrToM.

Hi Mr Tom,
I don't think that is it for the following reasons. When first installed it worked fine with saving to this libray. If it was a holiday photo I was working on I would just click save as, click on libraries, click on picture library which would then open and click on the relevant folder. It worked perfectly. So I can't understand why it doesn't work now. It's as if all of a sudden Photoshop doesn't recognise this library.

The second reason is that the pictures library also contains photographs which are not in folders because I haven't yet decided where they should go or because I need to work on them still, so when I click on save to the pictures library it should be seeing 'jpg files in there along with the folders.

MrToM

Guru
Hmmm, fair enough, you could be right.

Did you set up the 'Pictures' folder yourself or is it the default?

I deleted those folders from my 'Libraries' and restored them and they work fine....when saving from CS5.

You can delete any library folder from the list by right clicking the folder and selecting 'delete'.
Don't worry about doing this, the actual folder is not deleted, just the link to it.

Then right click the 'Libraries' and select 'Restore default libraries'....you should then see, (at least), all the default libraries....documents, music, pictures and videos.

Try saving from CS5 again.

Failing that I dunno, I cannot reproduce the problem.

Regards.
MrToM.

Hmmm, fair enough, you could be right.

Did you set up the 'Pictures' folder yourself or is it the default?

I deleted those folders from my 'Libraries' and restored them and they work fine....when saving from CS5.

You can delete any library folder from the list by right clicking the folder and selecting 'delete'.
Don't worry about doing this, the actual folder is not deleted, just the link to it.

Then right click the 'Libraries' and select 'Restore default libraries'....you should then see, (at least), all the default libraries....documents, music, pictures and videos.

Try saving from CS5 again.

Failing that I dunno, I cannot reproduce the problem.

Regards.
MrToM.

No I didn't set it up, it's the default one that was on the machine when I bought it.

I was actually going to ask you if that could be done, deleting the folder and then restoring it. Just one question, what happens to all the photos inside the pictures library if I delete it?

MrToM

Guru
...what happens to all the photos inside the pictures library if I delete it?...

Absolutely nothing.

Like I said, the library 'folder' you see under 'libraries' is just a link to the real thing....a bit like a shortcut.

You can create any 'Library', (read shortcut), to any existing folder and have it displayed in the 'Libraries'....you just create a new library and then 'select' the folder(s) you want to include in it.

It's meant as a way to shorten navigation to your most used folders.

The only other thing I suggest is to delete the 'default' pictures library and create your own....then 'Add' the same 'My Pictures' folder to it.

If neither deleting the default and restoring, nor creating your own doesn't do it then I'm lost.....I can't recreate the problem here but as I said I deleted the 'Pictures' library folder and then restored all the defaults with no ill-effects.....all working fine.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Just to make sure....you RIGHT click...

To DELETE a LIBRARY:
delete_library_MT_01.png

To CREATE a new LIBRARY:
new_library_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.

Absolutely nothing.

Like I said, the library 'folder' you see under 'libraries' is just a link to the real thing....a bit like a shortcut.

You can create any 'Library', (read shortcut), to any existing folder and have it displayed in the 'Libraries'....you just create a new library and then 'select' the folder(s) you want to include in it.

It's meant as a way to shorten navigation to your most used folders.

The only other thing I suggest is to delete the 'default' pictures library and create your own....then 'Add' the same 'My Pictures' folder to it.

If neither deleting the default and restoring, nor creating your own doesn't do it then I'm lost.....I can't recreate the problem here but as I said I deleted the 'Pictures' library folder and then restored all the defaults with no ill-effects.....all working fine.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Just to make sure....you RIGHT click...

To DELETE a LIBRARY:
View attachment 71612

To CREATE a new LIBRARY:
View attachment 71613

Regards.
MrToM.

Cheers, I'll give it a try. I have back-ups of all the photos anyway but just didn't want to put myself to that amount of work if it went wrong.

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

There is absolutely no need to go anywhere near your files or the folders that contain them.

Just try using the method I've shown you.
No guarantee it'll do anything but still, nothing to lose.

Regards.
MrToM.

No worries.

There is absolutely no need to go anywhere near your files or the folders that contain them.

Just try using the method I've shown you.
No guarantee it'll do anything but still, nothing to lose.

Regards.
MrToM.

No luck I'm afraid. I went into the Libraries and deleted the pictures library and then created a new library and imported the folders back into it. Still get the same message when I try to access it from Photoshop. Then I created a new library and put some photos in it. Tried to access it from Photoshop and got the same message. I'll maybe try installing Photoshop again over the weekend in case something got corrupted.

MrToM

Guru
Well I dunno then.

I just tried it again and as I said before, as long as there is at least one file of the same type, (in this case .jpg), in a folder in the library, (be that 'My Pictures' or whatever), then PS is fine with it.

What exactly is not happening for you? What happens when you try to save the image?

I'm still not convinced I fully understand exactly what the problem is, sorry.

Regards.
MrToM.

Well I dunno then.

I just tried it again and as I said before, as long as there is at least one file of the same type, (in this case .jpg), in a folder in the library, (be that 'My Pictures' or whatever), then PS is fine with it.

What exactly is not happening for you? What happens when you try to save the image?

I'm still not convinced I fully understand exactly what the problem is, sorry.

Regards.
MrToM.

Okay I have just created a folder on the desktop called pictures. It's empty. I start Photoshop and click on open and open a photograph which I have on the desktop called mum.jpg. The photo opens as normal in Photoshop. I then click save as and click on desktop, and then the folder called pictures. The message appears at the top of the empty window, 'No items match your search.' I go ahead and save anyway and the photo saves as normal. I then try to do the same thing in the Pictures Library and it opens a blank window with the message, 'No items match your search,' even though the library has thousands of .jpg's in it. I try to save anyway and I get the message, mum.jpg Class not registered. That's exactly what is happening mate. I can't explain it any better.

MrToM

Guru
Ah.....Class not registered...I missed that, sorry.

In that case its definitely a Windows problem. Somewhere during your install a dll is probably missing or corrupt or something.

Your best bet then is to go down that line of enquiry and see if there is a simple fix for it. It may as simple as an sfc /scannow but it really could be anything.

Try the sevenforums they are extremely good.

Sorry I missed this info in post #3....looking too hard.

Regards.
MrToM.

Ah.....Class not registered...I missed that, sorry.

In that case its definitely a Windows problem. Somewhere during your install a dll is probably missing or corrupt or something.

Your best bet then is to go down that line of enquiry and see if there is a simple fix for it. It may as simple as an sfc /scannow but it really could be anything.

Try the sevenforums they are extremely good.

Sorry I missed this info in post #3....looking too hard.

Regards.
MrToM.

Yeah I was thinking that 'Class not registered' was the clue and that it was a Windows problem, as usual! To that end I ran a sfc scannow but it didn't manage to fix it. It did produce a log file but from my point of view it might as well be in Chinese! I'll search more for this through Sevenforums as you suggest.

Now don't ask me how but all of a sudden when I started the computer today and went into CS5 to edit a couple of photos everything is back to normal. I can now access my photo libraries the way I was always able to in the past. I'm thinking this was a Windows problem rather than a CS5 problem and it has somehow fixed itself. I was just about to do a complete Windows repair but I think I will leave well enough alone and see if it keeps working. Thanks for all the suggestions folks.