What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clicking on animation frame no longer shows the visible layer in my layers window.

yougetagoldstar

Using photoshop CS3

Been working with animation lately. When I first started animating in PS, whenever I clicked on a frame of animation in the animation window, I could look at my layers window and see that only the layer that corresponded to the frame of animation was toggled visible, the others were toggled hidden (which is how you determine what will be displayed in the frame it seems).

I'm not sure exactly why PS stopped doing this, but about an hour ago I found out that PS actually features two types of animation "Frame by Frame" and Timeline Animation I got curious to see hat timeline animation was all about, so i clicked on the button on the bottom right of the animation window "Convert to Timeline Animation". I did that and checked it out for a while, but then I switched back to frame by frame animation and now when I click on my frame, the corresponding layer is no longer exclusively toggled visible. Not sure exactly why things changed. This makes it pretty hard to determine which layer I'm seeing in my current frame of animation.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to set things back to the way they used to be? Thanks.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Re: Clicking on animation frame no longer shows the visible layer in my layers window

...so i clicked on the button on the bottom right of the animation window "Convert to Timeline Animation"...
Note that this CONVERTS the Frame animation into a Timeline Video.

...then I switched back to frame by frame animation...
Well its not a simple case of just 'switching'...you are CONVERTING back to a Frame animation from a Timeline Video....you cannot simply switch between the two.

...the corresponding layer is no longer exclusively toggled visible. Not sure exactly why things changed...
Nothing has changed, thats how PS does it, and always has. You may have toggled the warning off, (Or CS3 may not have one), but in later versions of PS it gives a clear warning that layers will not be exclusively preserved and that it is an emulation of key frames...

keyframe_warning_MT_01.jpg

...Anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to set things back to the way they used to be?...
Well its not a problem per-se more of a workflow issue but yes, its the same for everyone....and no, there isn't anything to 'set back' to, you've done two conversions on the same file, not simply viewed the animation via two different methods.

Its unusual, and therefore not expected, to convert more than once, having only two options once should always be enough. To revert back you would have to re-open, ('import frames' in CS3), the file again.

Regards.
MrToM.

yougetagoldstar

Re: Clicking on animation frame no longer shows the visible layer in my layers window

ah, i see. thanks for the explanation. guess I had to find that out sooner or later. glad i found out about that now.

MrToM

Guru

No worries.

You could of course still go through and turn off those layers not needed for a particular frame but why go through all that when re-opening the file would do that for you.

Regards.
MrToM.