Thread: Desktop problem

Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.17%
    Achievements Someone Likes MeSocialQualified to FreelanceConversation Starter

Desktop problem

My desktop icons will not open because the usual dropdown menu for opening them suddenly omits the word OPEN.

This happened after I entered a date on the desktop with the Photoshop CS6 type tool. Could this have caused the problem? I have tried to delete the date but did not succeed.

I have a spare icon on the desktop for the REYCLE BIN which I cannot delete. How to get rid of it please?

I am on Windows10.

Many thanks in advance for you help.
    Joe

2. Likes Pipsmom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.93%
    Achievements Love GuruAdvocateQualified to FreelancePost Guru
    Awards Challenge CreatorChallenge WinnerScholarPhotoshop Guru

Re: Desktop problem

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    My desktop icons will not open because the usual dropdown menu for opening them suddenly omits the word OPEN.
    Are you talking about icons on your Windows OS desktop? The Photoshop Type Tool will not work outside of a Ps document, so you could not have used it on your desktop. Please clarify, thanks.

Refresh your page to see replies!

Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.76%
    Achievements SuperstarPost VisionaryPress FanaticQualified to Freelance
    Awards Challenge Creator - Award nomination from Eggy accepted.Challenge WinnerScholar - Excellent help in the forums.
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-troubleshooting/54906-photoshop-wont-start-after-installing-new-ram.html#post1533716037Photoshop Guru

Maybe Joe means this option

Desktop  problem-untitled-jpg

I'm confused about this bit
    "This happened after I entered a date on the desktop with the Photoshop CS6 type tool. Could this have caused the problem? I have tried to delete the date but did not succeed."

Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.93%
    Achievements Love GuruAdvocateQualified to FreelancePost Guru
    Awards Challenge CreatorChallenge WinnerScholarPhotoshop Guru

@gedstar , in your example that is a desktop icon, right?

Like this?
    Desktop  problem-screen-shot-2017-04-09-9-56-12-am-png

This is still a desktop icon that's a function of the OS and not Photoshop. I'm very confused about this one. I hope the OP comes back and sheds some light on the matter.

Refresh your page to see replies!

Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.76%
    Awards Challenge Creator - Award nomination from Eggy accepted.Challenge WinnerScholar - Excellent help in the forums.
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-troubleshooting/54906-photoshop-wont-start-after-installing-new-ram.html#post1533716037Photoshop Guru

Yep Sam that's the Desktop icon, when Joe speaks about "My desktop icons will not open because the usual dropdown menu for opening them suddenly omits the word OPEN."

It's the only thing I can think of, but you have to right click to get that option and he doesn't mention that.
    I'm confused as well, maybe @JoeJ will come back and enlighten us
    Last edited by gedstar; 04-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.

7. Thanks JoeJ clicked thanks for this post
    Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.17%

First of all, thanks again.

Yes, indeed, it's the option that has the word OPEN at its very top that I was referring to. Now I can only access that option (and the word OPEN) by going to the External Hard Drive.

I want to get that option back on my desktop when I hit an icon to open it (without having to go to the External Hard Drive) for that's how the desktop icons open when things are working are normally. How to do it, please?

Joe

Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.76%

Hi Joe can you post a screenshot of what you're talking about and explain what it is you're trying to open, is it a shortcut, an application or image?

Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.17%

If you could kindly let me know how to send you two images from my Pictures Folder, it would make my problem immediately clear. I have saved two such images in Pictures but don't know how tot transmit them.

Sorry for the bother and please excuse my ignorance.

Joe

Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.76%

Post Thanks / Likes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Activity
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.17%

Thks again, but I don't know how to attach screenshots. Have gone to the icon to attach images ,but then what to do?

Joe