What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparency is suddenly much darker

jano152

Hello, I need help with a weird problem. Yesterday I did some graphics in Photoshop and beside PSD I saved them also as PNG. Today when I open any of the files and save them again as a PNG all pixels with less then 100% opacity are much darker. It affects for example drop shadow effect in blending options, font antialiasing or even a normal layer with lowered opacity. It's exactly the same file and I'm comparing it to the previously saved PNG. What happened? Did I change some PS setting with an accidental key shortcut? I can't find anything helpful on the internet..

I've created a gif from one of the graphics as an example. The darker frame is from today's file and the lighter from yesterday's. It's really weird.

anim.gif

Thank you very much for any kind of help.

Last edited:

jano152

Nobody knows? Any idea what could be the cause? I'm desperate... The problem still persists and I can't work on anything like this. I've searched all options and settings in Photoshop but I didn't find anything that could affect all existing documents like this.

I've created an another example. In this one you can see the changes in the font antialiasing and drop shadow blending option. The image with the darker shadow and heavier font is the new "broken" one.

shadow.gif

jano152

After searching again I've found out where was the problem. But I have no idea how it ended up changed. The problem was in Color Settings. But I didn't open that dialog. So there is problably some keyboard shortcut to change these settings which I accidentaly pressed or it is a bug in PS. To solve the problem (and restore the PS to it's previous correct settings) I had to check the "Blend RGB Colors Using Gamma 1.00" in Color Settings (picture below). Now I'm afraid what other settings were unwillingly changed... But maybe I'll find out later.

adv.png

Last edited by a moderator:

gedstar

Guru
Hi and welcome to the forum,

I was just about to reply when I seen your last reply
OK if your worried about PS default settings the best option would be to reset PS preferences, this will reset all PS settings to it's default

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop

Last edited:

jano152

Thank you very much for the welcome and reply. I've checked again all settings that I could think of and especially the color settings and it looks alright but I'll keep that reset in mind if anything unusual happens again. What I don't understand is how did this color setting changed by itself? I'm absolutely sure that I didn't even open that dialog and yet it somehow changed. That's really weird. And other settings that I checked aren't changed from the values that I set long before so the settings didn't reset.

gedstar

Guru
Photoshop can act in some very strange ways at times, the old reset of preferences normally resolves such issues