What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extracting peacock feathers

jazzglenn

I'm not entirely sure this is the correct thread to post in, but tried to get as close as possible, so apologises in advance.

I photographed multiple peacock feathers (apart of a larger production) and I need to extract the in-between dead space to allow the other layers (and other peacock feather layers) to come through.

So far I used the magic wand, which has done a fairly good job on removing large parts. I've masked and brushed up the edges as much as possible but there's still a huge amount of work to do (around 30 individual feathers). My deadline is Thursday.

Does anyone know of a way to extract the intricate detail (the background colour is yellow, and the feathers are peacocks, not close in colour in terms of what we see, however when I do zoom there is a lot of bleeding of pixels that makes it hard to have an easy contrasting extraction and I think the pen tool is out the question, that would literally a good week)

I'd highly appreciate and suggestions and will give them all a go.

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 15.08.58.png

(what I'm working with)

fredfish

Guru
First of all I looked at the thread title and thought it sounded a bit cruel :)

Personally I would try using the select by color range option (select/ select by color range). I had a quick try and turned the fuzziness up to bout 120 and got a reasonable result.

I am at work at the moment o can post a screen shot - will do later if you need it.

Cheers

John

*EDIT Post crossed with gedstar - I didn't use the levels adjustment first.

Last edited:

jazzglenn

Ah, thats perfect thank you. I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on!

Very much appreciated Gedstar!

Thanks!

jazzglenn

Thanks a lot John, will also try this out, see which works best!

Haha, I felt like a grabbing headline would get a quicker response ;)!

I'll let you know how I get on!

MrToM

Guru
You could also try using a Channel, in this case, the Red channel, to create a marquee and subsequently a layer mask.

The Red channel does a pretty good job of the initial separation and by using a 'Levels' adjustment on a copy of the Red channel you can get a reasonable result...

peacock_MT_01.png

It really depends on what is going behind this as to how far you go with the mask....you would have to experiment with it.

Regards.
MrToM.

jazzglenn

Hey guys, I thought I'd update ya'll on the final image. The processes you suggested sped my time up x100 haha!

Very much appreciated.

(second self portrait of a series) ... and a screen shot because of re-sizing for the forum haha.
1.png

fredfish

Guru
Great to have a follow up. Looks great :thumbsup:

Cheers

John