What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto-Blend undoes Auto-Align

webmastermama71

I am using a new camera (Canon eos 70D) and now I cannot get my images to auto-blend. When I open a photo it tells me I need to update its color profile but I didn't think that would cause an issue. I am doing everything I did on my last camera (Canon T2i) but when images auto-blend they aren't lining up. It is very frustrating because this newer camera, in theory, should help me with stacking. But now I can't do it and I'm sad. I am shooting in RAW and I attempted with JPG as well and got the same results.

Photo is attached for sample. autoblendfail.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Does the auto align work well? Which specific version of PS are you using. Does it just fall apart with auto-blend right after auto align.
Might help to provide the images through a link for others to download and duplicate your issue.
Just a suggestion
John Wheeler

webmastermama71

The auto-align seems to work well. I'm using Photoshop CC - latest version. And yes, it just falls apart after Auto-blend for most photos. Here is one where it didn't: https://flic.kr/p/VT6HCb

This didn't happen with photos from my older camera (example here: https://flic.kr/p/TcJsK9 - it is perfect). It auto-blended each and every time. It has only been since using this newer camera.

Here are some photos. I took these and I was so excited to blend them. https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3oYJ7v Just now these are the steps I took:
1) Scripts - Load Files into Stack
2) Edit- Auto-Align Layers (Auto). It goes through the progress of aligning the layers. (photo is attached).after-auto-align.jpg
3) Edit-Auto-Blend Layers (Seamless tones and colors checked)after-auto-blend.jpg

I'm so frustrated!!

Does the auto align work well? Which specific version of PS are you using. Does it just fall apart with auto-blend right after auto align.
Might help to provide the images through a link for others to download and duplicate your issue.
Just a suggestion
John Wheeler

MrToM

Guru
I tried with two methods, one using the same 'Load Files into Stack' script which retains the metadata...

Mag_90_95_script_MT_01.png

...and one by opening all the files and then moving them manually into one, (the first), document, stripping the metadata in the process...

Mag_90_95_non-script_MT_01.png

As you can see, both methods produce similar results and neither show any of the misalignment you describe.

In both cases I selected 'Auto' projection and the 'Geometric Distortion' option for alignment regardless of the metadata being removed.
I also selected 'Stack Images' and 'Content Aware Fill Transparent Areas' in the blend options.

Sorry, but without being able to reproduce the error there isn't much I can suggest.

You could of course try the usual suggestion of resetting the prefs and if you do I'll add to back up your 'settings' folder first before doing so, that way if it doesn't solve your problem you can revert back to it...nothing changed.

Regards.
MrToM.