What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with PNG Images having specks in transparent background

Taccie

Hi all,
I can't seem to find the answer to this. I am painting watercolors, scanning them, opening the scan in photoshop elements then editing and saving as PNG image so they will have a transparent background. I plan to start selling my work in this downloadable format soon. I thought is was going well but when I loaded one of my PNG images onto Esty today it 1) showed up with a black background and 2) showed a bunch of small white specks on the black background. So maybe I didn't do a good job turning the images into quality PNG images? Below is a snippet of what it looked like on the website.

This is my current process: I scan my painting, open in photoshop elements, use the magic wand to select the image, use then magic eraser too to erase the background, add a new black layer behind my image so I can see any white specks that need more erasing, use the eraser tool to further clean up my image until it has no specks, delete the black background layer and save as PNG. The images look good but like I said when I loaded them onto Etsy the black background appeared but I am far more worried about those specks. Am I not using the right process to make images quality PNG images?

Capture image.PNG

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

Why are you trying to remove the backgrounds? The white specs are probably a remnant of the original background that your trying to remove. This is a result of using the magic eraser. You should never erase.......ever.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What color mode are you using? You should be using RGB.

Taccie

Hello.

Why are you trying to remove the backgrounds? The white specs are probably a remnant of the original background that your trying to remove. This is a result of using the magic eraser. You should never erase.......ever.

I am trying to make it transparent because its a type of clip art that people use. If not the magic eraser than what do I use to remove the background ? Thanks.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Taccie

Chances are the background you were erasing was not completely erased. To verify the source of the issue, it would help to have the PNG file without black placed underneath. It may be as simple as you have partial transparency in those pixels and could not tell when you saved the PNG.

Taccie

The black underneath is just temporary so I can see if there is anything more that needs to be removed from the background. I delete the black background before I save it. I'll check my transparency. Thanks.