What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learning Photoshop: Bringing out effects into seperate layers (stroke)

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Re: Simple Outline

Nice tutorial Ultiman :)

I think the volume of the music needs to be lowered when you have voice-over. Otherwise it's great! That tts sounds pretty good.

Ultiman

yeah its the best voice i could find its from neospeech they have a new one with a British accent is so dam realistic but its not for sale yet

The music needs to go way down, you just want a slight hint of tunage in the background... I must say, it's kind of weird listening to something that does type to speech for a tutorial LOL!!!

If your not sure how get to get the Audio 1 track down without bringing them both down, there is an option to Unlink Audio Track 1 from the project..

hawkeye

Guru
Good tutorial, but for that particular image it's way more complex than necessary. Just select the BG with the magic wand or color range, inverse the selection, and stroke on a new layer. You might consider suggesting shortcuts as well, Shift+Ctrl+j will do the same as layer via cut, or in this case simply copying (Ctrl+j) to a new layer would do just as well.

I agree, the music needs to either go completely (my vote), or reduce the volume much much lower. I don't understand this new trend of playing music while someone is speaking. I've never once been to a lecture or taken a course where the speaker or instructor plays music while they're talking. I don't feel it contributes anything, actually just the opposite, I find it distracting.

Being in a live lecture is a lot different than an online virtual tutorial, anything live is interactive, you can't interact with a video tutorial to fill the void like you can in a live lecture.. Having some kind of music laying in the background adds ambiance and fills the background with noise when you are not talking. Tutorial Videos get boring to me when someone is trying to do something and they just sit there and be quite.. At least with a little background noise there is some kind of fill...

I will agree that it does need to be done in moderation, if done properly it makes for a better video tutorial..

hawkeye

Guru
Most lectures I've attended are not interactive except for a questions and answer session at the end perhaps. In a live setting there are breaks and periods of silence too, people take time to look for notes or write on a board or demonstate something in silence and no one sees the need to fill that time with noise.

What one considers "doing it properly" and concluding that doing so makes a video better, is subjective at best. I've seen many video tutorials on Youtube where the majority of comments are lower the music, kiill the music, change the music, etc. Trends come and go, and this is obviously the current trend, so I suspect I better get used to it.

In the end though, I can only speak for myself, and as in this case I'd prefer silence over the repetative noise. I've done video tutorials many times and never once has anyone told me I should add music or some background noise, but i do tend to be verbose.

But as the saying goes, to each is own. So we'll just have to agree to disagree peacefully on this one.

Yutosi

Power User
I don't mind music at the beginning, but I think it's better not to have it playing past about 10-15 seconds in.

If there is music playing while someone is talking or in this case when speak-n-spell is going :D, then the volume of the music needs to come way down so the voice part is the main thing you hear and the music is only in the background.

Right on Hawkeye, at least your a guy who can disagree and not get personal.. A lot of folks can't seem to do that online, they turn into Keyboard cowboys...