What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Begginer Videotutorial - Shadows and Reflections

zakfuego

Hello

I share this little tutorial for begginers, if you like Photoshop and want some basic tips in shadows and reflects you will find it useful.

I hope you like it

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I have a few observations, most of which are intended to help the presenter as well as any potential viewers.

The video is very basic and presented by an entry level user. There are several things presented in this video that need to be addressed.

While you did mange to add some written instruction, there are far too many moves that are made without explanation. Since the presenters version of Photoshop is NOT in English, these moves will be hard to understand.

When using transform, add the shift + option modifiers to transform around the center, this way, your not chasing your image all over the screen.

Never CUT anything, always use layer masks.

When using any tool like the Burn or Dodge Tool that alters the primary subject (ball) always work on a separate layer, this will allow you to make changes later if needed.

You did not explain how you made the extra layer for the table and not needed BG reflection, you just did it.

When making a selection, just Command/Control + click the layers thunmbnail, in this case the ball. You used the Magic Wand Tool, this may make undesired selections. This is where you should have used layer masking.

There are several aesthetic mistakes made. The ball would never be stationary at the angle it's depicted, it would roll off the table. The metal ball, as seen from the front view, would not reflect what was behind it, it would reflect what was in front of it. There may be some slight reflections of the background, but only in the very edges of the ball. There would be a gradient in the table top as well as some slight blur on the back edge of the table.

There are many other things I could address, but I will stop there.

All in all I would rate this video about 2 on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being poor and 10 being excellent. I can appreciate the effort. You will need to practice and improve your skill level before your attempt another tutorial.

zakfuego

Thx for the feedback.

I know there are things to do better. I'm not a begginner in photoshop, maybe I don't have great technical skills and English is not my natal language.

I will try to explain the steps better in a next oportunity, it's my first tutorial but I am ready to learn how to inprove them.

Greetings