What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Quick Tip: How to Duplicate Layers

Hey guys,

In this video we're going to go over several different options that allow us to duplicate layers. In this tutorial I will be using Adobe Photoshop CC 2015. If you have an earlier or later version, it's possible that you might see some subtle differences. I do the majority of my work on a Mac, but I will try and provide PC tool tips as well.

Mac Shortcut Keys:

Duplicate Layer: Cmd+J

PC Shortcut Keys:
Duplicate Layer: Ctrl+J

Let me know if you have any questions/comments or tutorial requests!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Very nice tutorial, thanks for posting! Nice short intro. Nice voice over. Nice notations. Clear, concise, and thorough.

I took a look at all your tutorials. This is just my opinion but Ps quick tips and beginners tutorials are a dime a dozen. I would really find it refreshing if someone with your obvious skill and commitment would cover material that is not covered, ad nauseam, in Ps tutorial land. It would make you stand out more and be noticed.

Thank you for the comments! I understand completely, and can't wait to get into all sorts of specific, more advanced tutorials. My plan is to be as accessible as possible to beginners and slowly ramp up the experience level, beginning with Photoshop and moving through other Adobe CC programs as well. Quite honestly I'm a little new to this all, but my goal is to remain professional and educational. This being my first venture into Youtube-land there's a lot I'm learning and so far I've tried to cover some very basic topics to help me go through the process of creating videos. There's more to come don't worry!

MrToM

Guru
Very nice.

You didn't include this method in your video but my preferred method is to hold Alt(Option) and drag the layer in the 'layers Panel' itself rather than in the document.

Regards.
MrToM.

Very nice.

You didn't include this method in your video but my preferred method is to hold Alt(Option) and drag the layer in the 'layers Panel' itself rather than in the document.

Regards.
MrToM.

That's true! Going in I didn't realize there were actually so many ways to duplicate layers and forgot to throw that one in there. I agree, if I'm not Option-dragging visually, I'm usually Option-dragging in the layer panel. Maybe I'll annotate something, this is one of those moments I wish Youtube let you replace video.

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Great video regardless and I don't think there is the need to do it again...but, if you did you could always edit your post here to point to the new one and then just delete or set 'this' one to 'unlisted' in YT.

Whatever you decide......thanks for taking the time to produce it, I for one appreciate how long it takes.

Regards.
MrToM.

No worries.

Great video regardless and I don't think there is the need to do it again...but, if you did you could always edit your post here to point to the new one and then just delete or set 'this' one to 'unlisted' in YT.

Whatever you decide......thanks for taking the time to produce it, I for one appreciate how long it takes.

Regards.
MrToM.

No plans to re-record. I've added an annotation that appears similar to my tooltips. I think it's a good fix and I feel better about getting that information in there! Thanks for pointing this out!

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 8.43.22 AM.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...I've added an annotation that appears similar to my tooltips....
That'll do it yeah.

At the time of posting this your original post still links to the old video....you'll need to edit your first post in this thread to point to the new one with the annotation.

You're probably doing that as I type.

Regards.
MrToM.

That'll do it yeah.

At the time of posting this your original post still links to the old video....you'll need to edit your first post in this thread to point to the new one with the annotation.

You're probably doing that as I type.

Regards.
MrToM.

I actually didn't re-upload any video. If you watch this one, around the 30 second mark the annotation pops up. I added it within Youtube itself. I'm not sure how quickly they make annotations public, though.

MrToM

Guru
Ah...right...sorry.

I wasn't aware you could annotate IN YT itself.....see....you learn something new every day! :thumbsup:

Still not showing at the time of this post, (or on YT either), so I guess just give it time.

Regards.
MrToM.

Ah...right...sorry.

I wasn't aware you could annotate IN YT itself.....see....you learn something new every day! :thumbsup:

Still not showing at the time of this post, (or on YT either), so I guess just give it time.

Regards.
MrToM.

All those annoying boxes that pop-up on Youtube videos are annotations added in the Video Editor after they've been uploaded. If I ever need to add them I want them to be as subtle as possible, because they always feel "spammy" to me. Also, anytime you see an end card with related videos or subscribe buttons (like mine), those clickable areas are all annotations that you have to build after uploading.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
All those annoying boxes that pop-up on Youtube videos are annotations added in the Video Editor after they've been uploaded. If I ever need to add them I want them to be as subtle as possible, because they always feel "spammy" to me. Also, anytime you see an end card with related videos or subscribe buttons (like mine), those clickable areas are all annotations that you have to build after uploading.

Yeah, I'm in the habit of turning YT annotations off because of the spammy feel. I probably miss things by doing so.

Yeah, I'm in the habit of turning YT annotations off because of the spammy feel. I probably miss things by doing so.

For that reason I'll never put required information inside of annotations. In this case the tutorial survives either way, and it just adds an extra tidbit. I'm going to circle back around and add more description to my videos as well, where I can include additional information and tips.

MrToM

Guru
CLANG!

The penny has just dropped!

I don't have annotations on either which is why I can't see your edit....I didn't realise that the annotations you did were not actually IN the video but an overlay just like all the other annoying ones.

Explains everything.

Thanks both....as you were.

Regards.
MrToM.

Haha, so the last 30 minutes I spent Googling how long it takes for annotations to refresh is all for not!

Hey, you guys have been awesome so far, even though I've only been around for, oh, 12 hours or so. Really inspires me to keep at it, seems like a supportive community.

MrToM

Guru
Aw shoot!

Sorry to send ya on a run-around.
IamSam and myself are regular video tutorial contributors but I don't think either of us ever use 'annotations' in any of them....not YT annotations anyway.

Personally I stay away from them because should the video be downloaded, which is often the case, then the annotations wouldn't work anyway....they only appear when viewed through YT.

If I need to 'Annotate' anything I do it directly in the video.....that way its the same wherever its viewed...online or downloaded.

I just downloaded your video and although the original 'annotations' are there the addition one isn't....did you do them all the same?

If not, that may be something to consider for future video's.

Then again it could just be me.....normally is. :banghead:

Regards.
MrToM.

Aw shoot!

Sorry to send ya on a run-around.
@IamSam and myself are regular video tutorial contributors but I don't think either of us ever use 'annotations' in any of them....not YT annotations anyway.

Personally I stay away from them because should the video be downloaded, which is often the case, then the annotations wouldn't work anyway....they only appear when viewed through YT.

If I need to 'Annotate' anything I do it directly in the video.....that way its the same wherever its viewed...online or downloaded.

I just downloaded your video and although the original 'annotations' are there the addition one isn't....did you do them all the same?

If not, that may be something to consider for future video's.

Then again it could just be me.....normally is. :banghead:

Regards.
MrToM.

I didn't explain it totally, the way that end cards work, you have to literally build it in photoshop and add it at the end of your video. So it's a part of the physical video that you're uploading. Then, in Youtube you basically add hotspots that are clickable. Aside from the end card, I will always annotate within the video itself if I feel it's needed. If I've already uploaded a video and there's a small piece that I think will be helpful, but doesn't warrant a full re-edit, I'll throw in a subtle YT annotation for those who see it, and add info to the description. Hopefully those are few and far between!

Thanks!

MrToM

Guru
Gotcha! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info....always handy to know, appreciated.

Regards.
MrToM.