What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get this effect in Photoshop or any other way?

capone007

Does anyone know how to get the effect like in this photograph with Madonna? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-07-01 at 12.18.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-07-01 at 12.18.05 PM.png
    217.9 KB · Views: 39

Paul

Former Member
I did this, is this what you meant?
mudonher.jpg:mrgreen:

Paul

Former Member
I was bored and needed to get my chop out asap:rofl:

capone007

Which effect are you looking for?
I was looking for that effect on the photograph that looks like a giant brush stroke as well as the line that is on the left side of her head..it's just a cool effect on the original photograph and was just wondering how it was done?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I was looking for that effect on the photograph that looks like a giant brush stroke as well as the line that is on the left side of her head..it's just a cool effect on the original photograph and was just wondering how it was done?

I've seen the original of that Madonna image...... If you look closely the line is all over the image. The entire image is cut into separate panels in layers after which a slight shadow is added on left side (I think) on each layered image panel.....

As for the brush stroke you mentioned... where is it? :cheesygrin:

capone007

I've seen the original of that Madonna image...... If you look closely the line is all over the image. The entire image is cut into separate panels in layers after which a slight shadow is added on left side (I think) on each layered image panel.....

As for the brush stroke you mentioned... where is it? :cheesygrin:

Maybe it's not a brush stroke..just kind of looks like it…do you see the lines on her collarbone…just right of the cigarette.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
That, too, seems like its all over the Madonna image but lowered in opacity for some of the panels.... looks like randomly spaced vertical lines on a layer blurred to look like vertical TV lines or scratches on old film and in SCREEN mode maybe....

Maybe it's not a brush stroke..just kind of looks like it…do you see the lines on her collarbone…just right of the cigarette.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
On second thought ... I think each of the section panels in the original Madonna image was converted into different spot colors. Flattened then converted to grayscale . Can't say with certainty unless I find that image again.

Unless I was mistaken and the artist did the procedures I outlined in previous replies.

capone007

On second thought ... I think each of the section panels in the original Madonna image was converted into different spot colors. Flattened then converted to grayscale . Can't say with certainty unless I find that image again.

Unless I was mistaken and the artist did the procedures I outlined in previous replies.

Ok, thanks so much for the help!

ibclare

Queen Bee
I think what you are looking at is pattern overlay layer fx. I would do this by making successive marquee selections and making each a separate layer, then adding a pattern. Then if you want you can play with blend modes and opacities. You can offset them if you want for a slightly Picasso-esque effect. Let me know if you think this might work and if you want more info on how to do it.

capone007

I think what you are looking at is pattern overlay layer fx. I would do this by making successive marquee selections and making each a separate layer, then adding a pattern. Then if you want you can play with blend modes and opacities. You can offset them if you want for a slightly Picasso-esque effect. Let me know if you think this might work and if you want more info on how to do it.

Thanks for the advice..is there anyway I could pay you to do it to a high res photo of mine that I would like to print..I do simple things in Photoshop..nothing quite this fancy. If not, do you know someone good that could? Thanks again.

MikeMc

McGuru
Searched that image...It is well cropped from the original. I suspect this might be a platinum print But this is all I could get...

A photograph of Madonna posing naked on a bed whilst smoking a cigarette has sold for nearly £15,000 at Bonhams in New York.

The sum is three times the estimate placed on the image that was taken in 1990, by the same photographer who did the work for Madonna’s 1992 book Sex.
Judith Eurich from the saleroom said: “It is an absolutely stunning image and it is just a beautiful tone of grey. It is not just black and white it is grey and silvery. Madonna was posing for a number of photographers at the time this was taken in the 1990s when she was in her early 30s. She was going through a phase of having bleach blonde hair and heavy dark eye make-up that gave her a dramatic look – and of course she has a gorgeous body. She is a very healthy person and I’d imagine the cigarette is just a prop to make her look sexy and sultry.”
Fashion photographer Steven Meisel captured this in one black-and-white photograph titled "Madonna,"