What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Business card photo

hello all,
I wanted to know the best way to approach taking a photo for a business card that is 2.319 inches by 3.458 inches.

I had my friend take a photo with his d70 camera (I am not a camera person so I am not sure specifically which model) and the image came out to be 48 inches by 72 inches.

I believe the resolution is 72 pixels/inch, I am working with a JPEG that is 6.51 MB.

When I try to downsize it via Image> Image Size, specify the dimensions, enable bicubric smoothing, the printed look blurry.

Is there program/process for downsizing that much and preserving quality?

Alternatively, is there a program that formats pictures for business cards? I am wondering how some business cards have photos with such crisp resolution.

Thank you very much in advance!

Here is the image I am working with

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwRQJ5iOSAwZR0U1VF9FTzBTd2M/view?usp=sharing

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
hello all,
I wanted to know the best way to approach taking a photo for a business card that is 2.319 inches by 3.458 inches.

I had my friend take a photo with his d70 camera (I am not a camera person so I am not sure specifically which model) and the image came out to be 48 inches by 72 inches.

I believe the resolution is 72 pixels/inch, I am working with a JPEG that is 6.51 MB.

When I try to downsize it via Image> Image Size, specify the dimensions, enable bicubric smoothing, the printed look blurry.

Is there program/process for downsizing that much and preserving quality?

Alternatively, is there a program that formats pictures for business cards? I am wondering how some business cards have photos with such crisp resolution.

Thank you very much in advance!

Here is the image I am working with

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwRQJ5iOSAwZR0U1VF9FTzBTd2M/view?usp=sharing

This image is 1.103 x 1.657" at 300ppi for print. I also corrected the color. Hope this works for you.. You can just crop it to the finished size for your card.
theone.png

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
@OP - You stated what is almost certainly the overall size of the business card. However, depending on the design, there is a very good chance that the photo doesn't occupy the entire area of the card. If this is the case, please tell us the size (in inches or cm) allotted for the photo, because that's all that really matters. Also, be sure to tell us which number is the width and which is the height you want the photo to be.

Tom M

PS - if the photo isn't going to occupy the entire card (eg, with text overprinting the empty areas), you should consider cropping away the empty areas of the photo. Please let us know exactly what you intend to do.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies and the color correction/sizing help! It already looks better (loving that blue).

The picture will take the entire space. The idea is that the picture (plus some text which I have not entered yet) will be the entire backside of the business card. The text will be on the whiteish (more like a dirty snow color) surface the toys are standing on and it will say "Everyone deserves to be understood" (centered text). I understand what cropping does, but you lost me in regards to how I can crop the image to fit the business card. When I print out the image you created, it still takes up the majority of the page. The resolution is slightly blurry as its stretched out to 7ish' x 10ish' roughly (slightly smaller than normal paper size)
As you can tell I am not the best with these graphic design terms so bear with me :)

I wish to upload this picture to a business card printing site.
They have a template that can be downloaded which tells you their parameters and suggestions for file types. Perhaps this will be helpful.
I downloaded the photoshop portrait template.

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please upload the template here if you have questions about it.

Alright finally managed to find a new pc that can upload images again (the pc I put my last post on his very old). I apologize to the moderators for inadvertently breaking a rule. Here is the actual template file.
US_Business-Card-Landscape-Template.jpg

I also found when I was in the build a card section where you can simply upload a picture, it actually looks pretty good. The website had one thing to say that the recommended image size should be 1039 x 697, they say my current image is smaller than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ALB68

Problem is that you don't have enough picture to cover the space and still maintain print resolution. You have to re-sample it and maintain 300ppi. The size they are stating in pixels is what is needed to stay withing their "safe zone". This insures that any info won't get chopped off when the cards are trimmed. This is what you want here. I resampled it to the required width maintained the proportion and then cropped it to fit the template. This is a screenshot, if you want the hi-res I can drop it in a dropbox as a pdf.

What I would do, however, it to move the "people to the left side, fill in the right side with the blue texture and place my text over that area. Or maybe you have a different layout in mind. None the less this is the size they want. They also want it to be 300ppi I;m sure.
(They are also asking for it to be in CMYK per the info on the template)

Attachments

• card.PNG
    card.PNG
    512.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Wow that looks great quality wise, thank you very much. If you could provide a high res that would be amazing. Hmm, I like the idea of people left and text right. I think I'll mock up both ideas and see how they look.

Once again, thank you very much!!

ALB68

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey, Brandon -

If you click on the following Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cat27qmnj...ll_rez-cropped_3p46x2p32in_at_300dpi.zip?dl=0

...you will find a somewhat sharper version than the very nice version that Larry already posted. It's at full bleed dimensions, ie, 3.46" x 2.32" at 300 dpi (as specified by your printer), and in the CMYK / GRACol 2006 color space, as the printer also specified. To make it easier for whomever is going to put in the type for you, it's in the form of a PSD file so that he can just add the text layers and be done.

I also posted a much smaller (ie, only 700 px wide) in-forum sRGB preview to give you an idea of what the PSD looks like without having to download it and open it yourself.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• theone-tjm01-acr-ps04a_CMYK_GRACol2006_full_rez-cropped_3p46x2p32in_at_300dpi-02_jpg_698px_wide_.jpg
    theone-tjm01-acr-ps04a_CMYK_GRACol2006_full_rez-cropped_3p46x2p32in_at_300dpi-02_jpg_698px_wide_.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: