What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oval / Long shape face makeover ideas

What are some tips and tricks in ps to for a good looking makeover. I tried here but I still think I couldn't go for better color choices and even though I tried very hard but it still looks strong to me. (Check attached image)
Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.
1.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Maybe lift the light reflection upwards.
As it is now the eyes are far too sharp compared to the surrounding face.

2.jpg

Well the haze was already there and I don't think I could do much there... I have to agree about your 2nd point though. Thanks mate.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Evil - If I read your first post correctly, the photo you posted is not the original. Might you be able to post the original that you started with. It might give us some other ideas as well as being generally instructive.

Cheers,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
I re-read it a couple of times and I'm not so sure, Eggy.

What are some tips and tricks in ps to for a good looking makeover. I tried here but I still think I couldn't go for better color choices and even though I tried very hard but it still looks strong to me. (Check attached image) Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.

The "I tried here" phrase, and his coupling of "it still looks strong to me" with "Check attached image" sounds to me like this is one of his attempts that he doesn't like.

I'm sure he will be along and let us know when it's not the middle of the night over there.

All the best,

Tom M

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Well, we'll hear it from himself when he comes back.

Regards

Well, Well, I'm here mates and the truth is I made small adjustments to the original and saved on original. Adjustments like skin spots and skin color "levels" that's it. So basically Tom Mann is right. :lol:
At the end of this thread I'll send you guys a gift don't worry. :mrgreen:
So here's the original one and hey I'm glad that this place is still kicking and rock solid.
2.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for clearing that up, Evil. In addition to what you said in your first post, it just looked a bit 'shopped and that was the confirming clue for me. :)

I'll be out till late tonight (US east coast), but will see what I can do with it later.

Cheers,

Tom M

So that means I finally got a bit better at p.s ;) after all these years I missed you guys a lot but oh my, the life is such a beach sometimes, happens to tear your schedule and hobbies and friends at some points.
I even tried contacting ibclare many times but couldn't reach her may she be good and healthy?
Anyway you got all the time in the world as this picture was taken by a cellphone and at first I wasn't happy with it so.......

Rich54

Guru
Here's my attempt. I have CS5, which doesn't have the ACR De-Haze filter that Eggy suggested. I created two separate exposures in camera raw, one for everything from the chin and down, and another for the face and hair. Then I merged them using masks and gradients. I added some additional contrast to the face with a curves adjustment and then cloned the background to cover up the blown-out sky. Lastly, I attempted to manually draw the shawl on top of her head where that, too, was entirely blown out. (I'm not good at drawing fabric folds, so that part could be better.)

woman.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I personally like the blown out BG and a slight haze on her face. It adds character to the image. In seeing Richs version, it gives me an idea that I will have to try on this image.

I just adjusted the colors with a curves layer. I then added two more curve layers, on dark and one light to act as dodge and burn layers.
I really wanted to adjust out the dark areas under her eyes.

EvilsWoman_01.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.30.45 PM.png

Well done Rich and thanks for your time. That looks amazing but the effect is a bit strong. @IamSam Si men, long time no see? You just gave me another picture to work on makeover again :p Thanks mate I owe you one.
cheers.
BTW It's 10:42 at very moment now and I'll be online for next 7 hours at minimum. TomMann

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
I really like the direction Rich went. I'm a strong believer that hard-edged, blown-out areas like in this image pull the viewer's eye away from the subject. This is a different effect from the softer-edged, warm-toned, nearly blown out areas that have become very common among engagement, wedding and other romance-oriented photographers.

However, as Rich said, a bit more refinement on the folds of the cloth at the top of the head would be awfully nice. Also, IMHO, I would continue the vegetation throughout the entire background. I think that the white-ish areas are not very attractive. To me, they look like old bedsheets hung out to dry, LOL.

I would also crop the image to a portrait (ie, vertical rectangular) shape. The vegetation areas on the side don't have any real importance in conveying the personality of the person or the environment that the photo was taken in. I would certainly leave some vegetation remaining, just not as much as in the posted version.

Finally, at the risk of stating the obvious, if someone is intentionally trying to achiev3e the romantic blown background look, one should be sure that your lens and the mirror box of your DSLR are up to the task and not bouncing a lot of light around. There are lengthy discussions on photography discussion groups of exactly which lenses are best for this sort of shooting.

Just my $0.02,

Cheers,

Tom M

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - An afterthought: My guess is that when the photographer first started shooting this scene, his/her camera initially underexposed it because of the presence of the sun in the frame. When he chimped and saw what was happening, he almost certainly added a couple of stops of (positive) exposure compensation.

He probably didn't even consider using the earlier underexposed frames, but if any are still around, they will likely have the exact shape of the outline of the top of the woman's head/scarf, and that shape information could be very helpful in recreating that area of this exposure in a realistic way.

T

Last edited:
Lolz, You made my day man :).. It's wasn't shot with a DSLR or even a digital cam as I mentioned earlier it was taken by a mobile phone and I can't really say how important the picture is for me. the thing is I came here to ask for mak over ideas but instead I learned alot from you guys as always. I always use a DSLR for photography but I wasn't here for this picture but a really unprofessional lady took this picture .... Now please don't indulge me on revealing spoilers, would you? :)

Jaan.jpg
Here's another quicky, done by me in 20 minutes. I also tried countering the face shape via makeup. How did it go ?