What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a little help with color balance on Diamond and Jewelry

zamnahata

Hello everyone!

I am really looking forward to increase my knowledge in editing jewellery photos. I would like to emulate the "Tiffany" look on my jewellery photos. I understand it is a bit of play with color balance adjustment layer, but i cannot seem to find the right mix or the effect to achieve this on the band and the diamonds. As you can see in my photo, i had desaturated the diamonds and the band, therefore they look very flat. I want to bring in the cyan/blue color like in the diamonds and the band in the tiffany photo, can someone please advice how i may be able to do this?

Thank you all very much!

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 14
  • tiffany1.png
    tiffany1.png
    691.2 KB · Views: 11
  • tiffany2.png
    tiffany2.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 34

colleague

Guru
you can make an adjustment curves layer on top of the image and change the inputlevels for green and blue
and you can play with the opacity of the adjustment layer

Attachments

• blue ring.jpg
    blue ring.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 3

zamnahata

Thank you for your comment!

I tried that method but it is very hit and miss. I have over 100 photos to edit so i would like a much more solid solution that can be applied to all images.

Tom Mann

Guru
Here's a quick way to get something close:

1) "Quick select" followed by "Refine Edges") to select only the area containing all of the stones, but no metal. Save the selection for step #4 and any other tweaks you may want to do.

2) "Quick select" (followed by "Refine Edge") to select the large central stone. Save the selection for step #4 and any other tweaks you may want to do.

3) Subtract the 2nd from the first to get a selection of only the surrounding small stones.

4) Photo filter (cyan, preserve luminosity) masked by #3 to slightly tint the surrounding stones, but not touch the central, large gem.

5) Tweak contrast, clarity, etc. of the surrounding small stones to taste.

Done.

Here's how this technique worked on the starting image that the OP provided.

If the metal of the setting was visible between the surrounding small stones, I would have had to use "find edges" or some technique like that to find those (metal) edges and keep them from being tinted along with the material of the small stones.

Tom Mann

Attachments

• test-starting_image-tjm01-acr-ps01a-02_698px_wide.jpg
    test-starting_image-tjm01-acr-ps01a-02_698px_wide.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 23