What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Brush Tool question.

RobertsDigital

I am making lines using the brush tool using dots and the shift button but how do i copy and paste to a single layer?
When I copy the lines and paste them, a new layer is created....I don't want a new layer. I want a single layer only. How do I do it?

Last edited:
This is one of the first things I learned in Ps.
Two things the article did not mention.

First, is depending on what your selecting will dictate how you make a selection. If I'm just selecting the content of the layer, then just hold the command/control key and click on the layers thumbnail. If I want to choose an item or area within the layer, then I would pick one of the selection tools. I think the most commonly used could be the Lasso Tool unless you needed a more precise selection.

Second, is that while moving/dragging the selection, you can include the shift key with the option/alt + command/control keys and drag the "dots" in a perfect straight line up, down, side to side, or at a 45º angle.

Also, this trick will not work on shape layers unless you're using one of the shape tools.

Back