What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A rather impolite thing I've noticed on this forum.

MentosCubing

Power User
When people on this forum recommend resources to people, they often link to a Google or YouTube search instead of any particular resource, like this:
This work needs some improvement. I recommend checking out some tutorials here: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+to+do+Sample+Task+in+photoshop
I don't know if other people feel this way, but I find that rather demeaning. It seems to imply that I couldn't type in the search myself. It's okay to recommend resources to people, and it's okay to tell people to search for something online, but putting a link to the search engine with a query already in it just seems rude to me.
Am I making a big deal out of nothing? I don't read social cues too well, so that is a possibility.

Depends on the query I guess... In this case, "how+to+do+Sample+Task+in+photoshop" is sure meant to be rude... Somehow it feels like good old "RTFM".

Then, if the query was more like "photoshop+tutorial+frequency+separation", it be a pretty good start... I mean, when helping people, I often suggest to "Take a look for [insert some advanced PS technique here]" on Google". It's just that I know about the technique, I know it's what they're looking for, and I also know they'll get a better understanding of the technique if they watch a real tutorial... instead of reading a few lines from me on the forum... And since I've been using the said technique for quite a while now... I really don't know of any specific tutorial.... I'm thinking that when you know the name of what you're looking for, it's pretty darn easy to search and find the answer you're looking for.

It can be hard for anyone to read into the intent behind something like this. If the response is brief, it will be even more difficult.

A filled search query without much else in the post reminds me of the ultra-rude LMGTFY. Explaining a bit more as to why the query is being suggested could go a long way, many times it is probably a genuine attempt to help.

Depends I guess. Used to serve people that ask silly questions that rather could have easily been answered via a simple search. I think if the user is quoting any unique technical term that can filter out the results, something that's not obvious and rather unknown by the general public, it should be acceptable. But if someone is giving me a search link with something that's very obvious and mainstream, then that's rather a mock/insult.

Like others, I do this with YT videos as well. I can assure you that it's not meant to be insulting or demeaning. It is an attempt to offer genuine help on a matter that I know would be easier explained by viewing a series of proper tutorials instead of having to write a lengthy reply about the use of the Pen Tool or basic layer masking for example. I've also been known to use tutorial links when the member has not clearly communicated his/her questions on a particular technique. They are searching for something but they're not sure. I've also used tutorial linking when when trying to help in finding better techniques to accomplish a particular effect.

It's not that I feel the member is NOT capable of performing a search on their own, it's that I try to help by offering a group of organized ideas in the form of linked tutorials that could possibly help.

Thanks for replying, everyone! I suppose the things you are saying are true. I have mild autism which inhibits my ability to read a person's intent, and I tend to think of things in very "black and white" logic without properly recognising that maybe a certain behaviour can be both good and bad, depending on how it is used.
A filled search query without much else in the post reminds me of the ultra-rude LMGTFY.
That link made my day XD

Back