What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello PS Guru Community - Young man from the West full of Q's

TaintDrip

First off I would like to thank the PS Guru community for having such an open and welcoming community.

I have been Lurking in the shadows for a few weeks, trying to make use of such an amazing resource.
A million questions have been asked and the answers are usually full and complete. The time people put
into helping others is greatly appreciated and noticed.

I have a question to ask as well while I'm here. I've searched multiple queries to try and understand how I can
create multiple layered colored portrait images of animals or people... but feel so stumped in how to even
begin with such a creation.

I see it all in my head, but as I try to explain it to others, the message does not translate as i wish it would... But I
think it could look super creative, especially with my laser engraver and cutter. Would be a very neat gift to my
friends and family who have pets. Heck, I'd even do one for my Frogg Clarence.

The way i would like to do it is having 1 layer on top of the next with the consecutive layer getting smaller and smaller,
until it creates the illusion of a dimensional picture. The closest I could find to this sort of thing would be these layered
rainbow hearts. Picture the background being the color of the final page (In this case, purple) and have the Purple
Heart represent the Nose of a Dog, and then the First layer (Being Red) being the Ears and top hear scruff.

I feel like i sound retarded... but I know its possible... I see it, just having a very difficult time creating solid color
layers with cut out details that blends in with the 6-12 colors or colored layers...

Am i making any sense at all? I feel like no =(

The Dog is Skookumchuck. He's my everything. I want to capture deapth and detail in 6-12 layered segments.
If you can visualize what i'm saying i feel like we are both crazy ;)

I will be likely creating a proper thread, but might as well make use of this post as well to ask away =)
Thank you to everyone who clicks and reads.

tl;dr - I have an Idea, but having a tough time excicuting...

Mult layered2.jpg

Multi layered1.PNG

Skookum portrait.PNG

Skookum portrait2.PNG

TaintDrip

I want to make a colored version of this, either with voids of space/ laser cut sections or another method of adding detail.

My photoshop level of experience is making Avatars and Signatures for games... but have been out of the scene for a little while using Fusion 360 instead as a working tool.

Multi layered1.PNG

Multi layered2.PNG

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome.

Just do as what was done in your sample image. Convert the dog image with a cutout filter, then separate the layers using color range and add a bevel and emboss with drop shadow layer style to each layer.
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.09.41 PM.png

TaintDrip

Its almost what i am envisioning. Its definitely on the right track - and thank you very much for the efforts, IamSam !

TaintDrip

I'm still having issues completing and understanding how to properly layer this image with bold outline to detailed cut out style

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm still having issues completing and understanding how to properly layer this image with bold outline to detailed cut out style
OK.........let's see if we can help. Please explain what it is your referring to.

In the meantime, I'm going to prepare a more simple image that we can both work with in order to figure out what it is you envision.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK. Let me first see if we can figure out what your wanting.

Let's first discuss that lighting and tonal variations will dictate how the image will appear when a cutout filter is applied.

Pumpkin (without stem)
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.34.37 PM.png

After cutout filter.
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.34.49 PM.png

So let's work with the 3 separated colors.

Here is the first color which is the background layer or layer farthest away.
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.35.12 PM.png

Here is the second color which is the middle ground.
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.35.44 PM.png

Here is the first color layer which is the foreground.
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.35.55 PM.png

Here are all the colors with outlines and dropshadows.
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.44.39 PM.png

Fun color changes.
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.46.57 PM.png

Not sure if this is what you want.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Then there would be the 3D version in which I would not be qualified to explain! LOL!!!
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 11.25.12 PM.png

TaintDrip

IamSam, This is very close to what i am picturing. Thank you. I will play around with the first Dog portrait and see if I can re-replicate it.

Thank you very much. I'd love to return the gesture when i feel comfortable with how I want it to look.
I just wish i could visually see it done. If I see something, its stuck... reading what I am imagining can be difficult with Dyslexia.
Can make for some amazing Typo's however. ...

Thank you IamSam, I will report back with my trials.