What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Is it possible to erase the background from this image?

John92

I'm new to photoshop and I've been trying to get rid of the background (sky and mountain) for nearly 10 hours straight while taking breaks in between. I tried the magnetic lasso tool and the pen tool, but the results are always jagged and depressing. Using the eraser was my best bet until I found myself zooming x400 and erasing pixel by pixel. On the other hand, I can't make the quick selection tool work. It always ends up selecting half of her arm because of the bright light spot on it. I'm desperate. One can choose between either version below. I don't mind which.

colorized-image.jpg

Flickr_-_…trialsanderrors_-_Toni_Frissell,_Woman_in_tennis_outfit,_1947.jpg

carlbush

Power User
Two files attached ... one is a Photoshop .psd and the other is a .jpg for viewing. For this I used the vector mask tool to delete the background. The underlying "canvas"color was changed to green for contrast. The vector mask is live, so you can tweak and adjust without damaging the underlying image. The original image is rather low resolution, you would have better results with a higher res starting image. You should be able to open the .psd in Photoshop and play with the vector mask.

girlonwall.jpg

Attachments

• girlonwall.psd
    10.5 MB · Views: 3

John92

THANK YOU! Thank you both of you! And a million more thanks for explaining your work process! I feel like I had missed the point completely all this time. I'm now convinced that this is the place to be if I want to improve. Good luck in your future endeavors, fellas.

polarwoc

Guru
John, the Quick Mask tool is very helpful in cases such as this - like @Babine explained - where the contrast is very low between F/G and B/G. Ask questions if in doubt. Please share your own work if you choose to take up the challenge.