What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop, Wacom, and Windows problem fixed

HarrEl

I thought I'd share a problem with Photoshop, Wacom and Windows 10 and the fix I found. It's sometimes so hard to find fixes for Wacom problems that I thought I'd share this here. Photoshop was not recognizing pen pressure so I tried to fix it using the usual steps to no avail. (I can detail those if anyone wants to know.) After much searching I finally found the fix.

It turns out that Windows 10 update 1903, along with Photoshop (in my case 2020) now requires that "Use Windows Ink" is checked in the Wacom Tablet Properties under Mapping. (I use an Intuos Pro). However, make sure you only check "Use Windows Ink" under the Photoshop app when you add specific applications in Wacom Properties under Mapping. It you don't add specific applications and just check "Use Windows Ink" under "All Others" in applications, your stylus will paint in everything. For example you won't be able to highlight and select type in Word or Google.

Also in Windows 10 Settings>Devices>Pen & Windows Ink, Check>Let me use my pen as a mouse in some desktop apps and Check>Show Cursor. One last step: there was a fix for Wacom and Windows Ink problems where you had to put a PSUserConfig text file in AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop "version"/Adobe Photoshop "version" Settings. The PSUserConfig file forced the program to recognize Wintab by typing # use Wintab (return) useSystemStylus 0. I had this text file in both Adobe Photoshop 2018 and 2019. Thank goodness that I remembered they were there!

I hope this helps anyone having similar problems. Why Wacom can't send out an email blast to all of their gazillion users about this I don't know. Although anyone with Wacom experience understands the pain.

Back