What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop test resize when sizing box

mikecox

Lately I've been frustrated with what appears to be a new feature in Ps. When I finish creating text and want to change the layout, all text in the box changes as I change its shape. This is new, it's never been a problem before and I can't figure out how to revert it back to "normal" where the text size isn't affected by the box size.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Michael. I don't have the latest and greatest version of Ps, I'm still using CC 20.0.8 so I may not be of much help if there have been changes. Unfortunately, I'm not really understanding your issue. You may have to describe your issue in greater detail.

Are you talking about a "free transform" box changing the text size, because it's always done that?
A "text box" created with the text tool should not change the text size.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Michael
I too was at least initially confused by your question (may still be too) because you mentioned "shape" and you an also put text within an actual shape as well.
However, on re-reading your post, I believe the issue you are having is that there are two types of Text. a) Point Text and b) Paragraph Text

The point text is created when you have the text tool open and click on the canvas at a single point
The paragraph text is created when you have the text tool open and you drag a rectangle before starting to type the text.

There are some characteristics that are shared and there are some characteristics that are not shared. When double clicking the "Paragraph Text" you will get a bounding box that you can drag and not increase the font size. Not the same with "Point Text"

The good news is that you can switch between the two type of text in the command drop down
If you have Point Text then you switch by using Type > Convert to Paragraph Text
If you have Paragraph Text you can switch by using Type > Convert to Point Text

Not positive this is your issue yet can cause the same symptoms you are experiencing.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

mikecox

Are you talking about a "free transform" box changing the text size, because it's always done that?
A "text box" created with the text tool should not change the text size.
I did not enter the "free Transform" tool, which I am familiar with, and because I didn't activate the tool when I activated the "Text" tool I am confused by the fact that the text window is behaving as though I had clicked on the "free transform" tool. I tried clicking off the text layer, into a different layer, and when I click back onto the text with the "selection tool (V) and tried to widen the text box the text size changes as though I have clicked the "free transform" tool and I just can't seem to get disconnected from it so I can change the size of the space for the text.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
when I click back onto the text with the "selection tool (V) and tried to widen the text box the text size changes as though I have clicked the "free transform" tool and I just can't seem to get disconnected from it so I can change the size of the space for the text.
Ok Michael, bare with me here. When you hit the "V" key on the keyboard, it's a shortcut for the Move Tool and not a Selection Tool. In the Move Tool's option bar, there is a function that if checked, shows a transform bounding box that if used, will act exactly like the Free Transform function.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 4.39.37 PM copy.png

It looks like this with solid lines connecting the control handles. This is a "Free Transform" function and will alter the size and shape of the text when used.
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.59.59 AM.png

Could this be what you are trying to use? Turn "Show Transform Controls" OFF. What should be used is the Type Tools text box.

This is the Type Tool Bounding box that has dotted/slashed lines between the control handles. This will not alter the text when used.
Note: You have to have created the text box with the Type Tool when you first created the text layer, otherwise the bounding box will not be present.
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 2.01.39 AM.png

mikecox

The point text is created when you have the text tool open and click on the canvas at a single point
The paragraph text is created when you have the text tool open and you drag a rectangle before starting to type the text.

There are some characteristics that are shared and there are some characteristics that are not shared. When double clicking the "Paragraph Text" you will get a bounding box that you can drag and not increase the font size. Not the same with "Point Text"

The good news is that you can switch between the two type of text in the command drop down
If you have Point Text then you switch by using Type > Convert to Paragraph Text
If you have Paragraph Text you can switch by using Type > Convert to Point Text
John Wheeler
Hi John, Thanks for your response, do I recognize you from the Lr forum?
I'm not sure I follow you on this. The term "point text" confuses me and I don't recall a "paragraph Text" option. But it doesn't matter because everything is behaving normally again. Appears to be one of those things that clears up after rebooting the computer.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi John, Thanks for your response, do I recognize you from the Lr forum?
I'm not sure I follow you on this. The term "point text" confuses me and I don't recall a "paragraph Text" option. But it doesn't matter because everything is behaving normally again. Appears to be one of those things that clears up after rebooting the computer.
HI Mike
I participate (or have in the past) in many forums with Photoshop Gurus being my favorite so there are a number that we probably have crossed paths. Specifically, in ancient times I participated in NAPP (not for years though) and I believe you were on their forums.

Glad you got your problem fixed and it of course could have been Photoshop stuck somewhere so the old standby ways of restarting Photoshop, resetting preferences, and rebooting the computer are all broad stroke ways to try and solve a problem.

There are several types of ways to create text and they don't all have the Text "Bounding Box." Paragraph Text does. Rather than repeat a well written summary of the three main types of text, I will refer you to this Adobe link (goes right to the correct section) that explains "Paragraph Text", "Point Text" and "Path Text" I was suspecting that you were getting a transform box and not a Text Box because the specific text you were editing did not have a Text Box associated with it. After reading the info in the link, feel free to ask any questions to clarify those options

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-type.html#entering_type

Hope this helps
John Wheeler

mikecox

There are several types of ways to create text and they don't all have the Text "Bounding Box." Paragraph Text does. Rather than repeat a well written summary of the three main types of text, I will refer you to this Adobe link (goes right to the correct section) that explains "Paragraph Text", "Point Text" and "Path Text" I was suspecting that you were getting a transform box and not a Text Box because the specific text you were editing did not have a Text Box associated with it. After reading the info in the link, feel free to ask any questions to clarify those options

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-type.html#entering_type
Thanks for the link Joun, I review it and if I have questions you can be sure I'll be back :)