What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Questions About Custom Brushes

Rich54

Guru
I'm interested in downloading a set of brushes for various water effects such as splashes, sprays, spouts, garden hose streams, droplets, foam, etc.

Two questions:
  1. On most websites where custom brushes are offered, they usually describe the package of brushes but they do not provide a preview of what the brushes actually look like. This seems to be standard procedure. Am I missing something? How am I supposed to choose among several options if I can't see what's being offered in any of them?
  2. Does anybody here know of a particular set of water-effects brushes that you would recommend? (I recently downloaded a set from a website called Obsidian Dawn. They seem ok, but I have nothing else to compare them against.)
Thanks.
Rich

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
On most websites where custom brushes are offered, they usually describe the package of brushes but they do not provide a preview of what the brushes actually look like. This seems to be standard procedure. Am I missing something?
No you're not missing anything. Most brush sites offer descriptions as well as examples of works created with the brushes and sometimes you see the brushes themselves. I find this frustrating myself. Which is why I took great interest in this THREAD, At least we would have the ability to view the .abr file without opening them in Ps.

Does anybody here know of a particular set of water-effects brushes that you would recommend?
This depends on what you mean by water effects. Do you have an example of what you're looking for?

Rich54

Guru
This depends on what you mean by water effects. Do you have an example of what you're looking for?

Here are some brushes I downloaded the other day. Some are better than others. For example, I'm not in love with the droplets—they don't look convincing to me. Also, many of these look good if they're very large, but lose a lot of detail when small.

I'm basically looking for more of the same—all different kinds of moving or running water. Without being able to see other kinds of brushes, I have no way of knowing if these brushes I grabbed (somewhat randomly) are the world's greatest or just of average quality. I was just curious to see if anybody already had a set like this that they are really happy with.

water.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Rich54

Guru
Thanks. I already looked in Brusheezy, but I'll check the other ones you linked.