What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring badly discolored image

JeffK

Guru
Hello all:
I find myself on the other side of the fence now with a question about restoring an image.
I've tried curves, levels, hue and saturation and inverted colors but I cannot restore the badly discolored right and left sides.
Although I'd prefer to save the entire image, I'm starting to think of cropping the image down and colorizing what I can save.
Any thoughts, guidance, solutions and opinions are most welcome. The scan as presented to me is below.
- Jeff
linda teenager.jpg

HI @JeffK
Since some of the channels are blown out you would have to reconstruct the details from each of the channels and then effectively colorize. Not sure you would need to crop other than there is quite a few areas with small detail to consider on the sides.
Just throwing the channels together with Darken and slight tone adjustment most of the image is there.
John Wheeler

linda-teenager-Recovered.jpg

Hey, Jeff...
The main color problems are the huge, blown-out bands of yellow and red. I created a black & white adjustment layer and adjusted the sliders to greatly reduce the red and yellow channels. Then I added a Levels adjustment with the settings shown. From here, the image could possibly be colorized. This is all I could come up with.

Rich

1607384488330.png1607384509865.png

linda teenager.jpg

@thebestcpu and @Rich54 - many thanks for the response and the details. I thought this was badly blown out but wanted some additional opinions before I moved to the alternatives.
Going to b/w is an excellent option. Judging by what you both recovered, this is still very workable. And, if I have the ambition, I can colorize it since I have the reference image to sample.
Many thanks again to you both for your time and expertise! :thumbsup: :cheesygrin:
- Jeff

Here is my version.
Great work, Chris! This is is certainly going to need the repairs you've pointed out. It's part of a family project and I truly appreciate the support you all are providing. :)
- Jeff

Back