What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best video screenshots for image editing

thundchew

Hello,
I am fairly new to PS but I think I understand the basics of editing. Right now, I often find myself editing video screenshots (taken with smartphone). At the beginning, it's important to have the best source material, I guess.
At first, I used screenshot made with VLC media player.
Right now I use Pot Player, Save current source frame (in PNG format) and it seems to me, that my results with the latter are better.
So now I wonder, should I stick with that or are there even better ways to get untouched, 100% quality video frames, to edit them in PS?
Thanks in advance

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @thundchew
Your most recent approach sounds just fine.
I don't need to do it to often yet when I need to capture a video frame, I do the same thing by opening up a PS canvas as larger than the pixel dimensions of the video, open up the Timeline Panel, Import the video, scroll through to the frame I want, and stamp it to its own layer to work on. Same thing I believe, I just do it all in PS
Hope this gives you another approach to consider
John Wheeler

thundchew

Thank you!
Typical beginner insight :) I never thought about importing a video, since PS is an IMAGE editing software. I watched some tutorials but in none this was executed. Case closed ;)