What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wet paint/plastic effect

magenta01

hi,
can the layer fx section be used to create shiny paint/plastic effects on shapes?

if i make a selection around an object (not simple shape), can i then add layer effects to this selection when it's on it's own layer?

thanks

Why don't you try it and see? The best way to learn Photoshop is by using it and experimenting.

can the layer fx section be used to create shiny paint/plastic effects on shapes?
Yes. Any shape created by any tool or method. But this will depend on what you consider to be shiny/plastic.

if i make a selection around an object (not simple shape), can i then add layer effects to this selection when it's on it's own layer?
Yes. If you select an object and move it to it's own layer above the layer it was removed from, you can apply a layer style effect.

Why don't you try it and see? The best way to learn Photoshop is by using it and experimenting.

As a humble beginner, I'm after some help, some guidance, not sarcastic replies.
If you can't do that then please hijack other threads with your "input".

As a humble beginner, I'm after some help, some guidance, not sarcastic replies.
I'm sorry but you have misunderstood. Hawkeye's response is not sarcasm. It was good advice and there's no need to be offended by it. If you are needing more help than either of us has provided, simply say so. But I don't think this was meant to be any thing other than helpful.

It isn't sarcasm. Obviously you already know how to make a selection, and how to put the selection on it's own layer and how to add a layer effect. Thus the simplest and fastest way to find out if that will give you the desired result, is to just do it and see for yourself. Had you said you didn't know how to do something it would be completely different.

I followed the thread from the beginning, and Hawkeye's response did not seem sarcastic - in fact, it is sagely advise. While working on PS (or while programming), if a new idea appears in your mind on 'whether a particular tool/set of steps can be taken/used to achieve a desired output/effect', it is best to side step from what you are doing and implement it. That experimentation adds to your skills and to your repertoire. From my understanding, that is all he meant.

When the selected portion is copied and made into its own layer and it is on top, you just have to copy the Fx effects onto this layer to show plastic effects on this top layer.

If anything is unclear, just ask.

Back