What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gurus please help me on a small issue

zoe20

Power User
Hi Gurus. It's been a long time I am here. Due to school. Today I come across some interesting tutorials on youtube (see below). And I tried to do exactly the same way as she explained there. But somehow I am not getting the same result as she explained in this tutorial here: photoshop from 6:20 time stamp onwards where she instructed me to use a solid fill color and use clip mask. Immediately that color is taking on the pattern before. But it's not happening in my case. Please see the screenshot of my layers here: Please help me. Thank you.

explainme.jpg

This is the tutorial i am following :

It's probably because you did not start from a transparent document as shown at the start of the video. When you start from a transparent document and do the "Define Pattern", the pattern will be saved without the background(that is without white in this case).

If you have started with a white document, when you do the clipping mask with the solid color it will show up as a whole(like the problem you are getting now) instead of showing up at only the patterns.
So, I would suggest to start the "pattern making" ( from 0.22 to 2:10) again with a transparent document (follow it exactly for now) and come back to the second document and try the clipping mask again. It should work!

Can you attach a screenshot of your layers with the top layer (Color Fill 3) turned off? That should show us a black chevron pattern with a red background (from Color Fill 2). Let's see if that part is working correctly.

Ok, I see the problem. It confirms what Puraidodes initially thought. In your PSD, the smart object layer is supposed to be black lines on a transparent background. Instead, your layer is black lines on a white background.

When you originally created your pattern and saved it as a pattern, can you confirm that you made one black stripe on a transparent background? I suspect you did not—you accidentally had a white background when you created the pattern.

@zoe20 - Just for curiosity's sake, I went into your smart layer and using blend if, removed the white areas between the black lines:

Double-click on your layer zero to open the smart object. It will open as a separate document:

1626983087344.png

Double on the layer to open the blending options dialog - then on the top slider, begin to pull the arrows to the left slowly until white disappears:

1626983331183.png

Result - checkerboard pattern shows transparency:

1626983472037.png

Click OK and close the document - when dialog asks if you want to save changes, click "Yes"
*Any changes you made to the smart object will always be saved to the smart object in your master document

Now when you clip the top color layer to the layer below:

1626983689466.png

Hope this helps you to understand. You can repair what you have or start again. These kinds of speed bumps can be quite frustrating...everyone's run into them... :)

- Jeff

Back