What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop 3D shape presets are broken

Emma79

Also known as "What have I done wrong..."

So I'm trying to get a nice pillowy font, which the "inflated" preset is supposed to offer, but instead I get this weird vanishing affair...
Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 14.40.50.png

If I turn the view, the letters are still 3D, but the weird vanishing effect thing is actually a flat image coming up from the front face of the letters.

Testing all the other shape presets gives a mixture of either that standard preset, or this, so I have no idea what any of them are supposed to look like.

I've tried this in the context of the document I'm working on, and in a brand new document. I've tried completely closing everything, restarting... nothing seems to make it work like it's supposed to.

I don’t know if it's relevant but I'm using latest Photoshop on latest MacBook Air with up to date software.

puraidodes

What is the size of the document? The "effect" of extrusion depth values changes based on the size. Sometime PS just breaks when playing with 3D.
What is the font being used there? If there are problems in the font the extrusion will have problems.
If it is flat then extrusion depth or inflate should be 0. Try changing that. And this image shows that it is collapsing on itself.
Try "Reset Deformation" and choose the bulgy effect thing!

Emma79

Thank you for replying :)

All I can find about document size is 1920x1080px, 96ppi. The new doc I tried it on was just a basic photoshop preset.

The font is Athelas, just photoshop-supplied font.

The extrusion depth shows at 244.56px, and trying to change this seems to have little effect whether I change it to 1 or 1,000. Plus whenever I tap the bulgy thing it just jumps right back to 244.56. Reset deformation takes it back to the standard shape preset, then bulgy thing breaks it again.

I tried again in a brand new basic document, still the same.

puraidodes

Hmm! I can't say what would be the problem. It works for me in the same font too.
Also, try this

testy.png

Click every property and hit " Reset Deformation "

The third button "Cap" controls the bulge. If the angle is -ve it would bulge inwards.

But again, unless you share the .psd we cannot see the exact problem.

Emma79

Okay I tried resetting all the things, it's still made no difference.

Literally didn't even think about sharing the PSD file, let me see if I can figure out how to do that...

Okay it says the file is too large... how do I get around that?

(I'm sorry for all the noob questions, I'm a technical buffoon).

puraidodes

Upload it to any of the online drive services like gdrive, iCloud Drive or imgbb or anything and share the link.

Emma79

I dunno, I uploaded a PSD and it decided to steamroller it (I realise this means I did something wrong and may well point to the issue I'm having in the first place, lol)

I'd like to say this should work but I probably did this wrong too... Let's see :D

Emma79

Oh, also as a side note if you ever manage to get into the thing... The shadows have been put in using the infinite light thingy, and I notice they're like, backwards... Lighter at the base and darker as they move away, which seems wrong... How'd I break that? :/

puraidodes

Everything seems to be okay. No errors for me.

Go to the 3rd button in properties "Cap" and change these.
I just increased the Strength to 20 % and Angle to 90 as shown to get the bulge. The bulge is okay, No problems!

dt1.png

It even renders Okay!

Render after 15%

dt.png

Light's direction can be adjusted easily. Use the 3d Mode tools on the top. The light is pointing from your view to the inside in z axis. You can rotate,move it using the tools above.

Link to the adjusted .psd - Link

Last edited:

Emma79

Well, I have NO idea how you did that... I changed my settings to match exactly what you had and mine still does the whooshy thing, but thank you so much for linking the work you did on it :D I'm going to try starting completely over and see if I can replicate what you did, since it's evidently possible. Thank you so much :)

puraidodes

I did not change anything apart from the 2 properties mentioned. Good, start over!
You are welcome!

Emma79

I give up. I've completely removed and reinstalled photoshop, with a restart in between, I've restarted the project from scratch, I've tried doing it on the file puraidodes was kind enough to share... Nothing. The second I go to apply any preset it goes nuts and screws up the whole thing. No idea what I'm doing wrong, but something somewhere has me beat.

JeffK

Guru
Don't know much about 3D in Photoshop but I'm inclined to believe it's a hardware/software problem not necessarily a user problem. If you followed what @puraidodes relates, it should work. But it doesn't. Aside from starting over as puradodes offers, try also reading:

Now I gotta go try puraidodes' link for inflated shapes... :cheesygrin:

- Jeff

Emma79

Okay so...

I started a brand new document, basic Arial font, followed the Inflated Text tutorial... As soon as I get to Step 4, it all goes to heck. I can do all the previous steps fine, I can adjust the angle to 90. As soon as I touch Strength, I get the exact same problem.

Tried deactivating native camera as per JeffKs link; makes absolutely no difference.

On the plus side; Yay it's not me being stupid (probably), on the downside; darn, it doesn't appear to just be me being stupid...

I guess I'm just going to have to give up on ever getting this to do what it's supposed to do and move on to a new project.

Thank you so much for the help guys, I really appreciate it :)