What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to replace a door while preserving luminosity

TheTech

Hi,
In the attached photo, i would like to know how to replace the entrance door with a picture of another, but preserve the shadows & highlights.
I'll be glad to see the process to do that.
Thanks20210720_173322.jpg

JeffK

Guru
@Rich54 - the OP has left the building but I'm curious how you approached this. My first thought was just to rebuild shadows. Let me know what you think when convenient. :)
- Jeff

Rich54

Guru
@Rich54 My first thought was just to rebuild shadows.

Yep... that's what I did. First, I found a replacement door that didn't already have distinct shadows of its own. I created a rough selection of the dark shadow pattern from the original image and applied a Curves adjustment to the new door to darken those areas. Separately, I found an image of leaves to create the leaf shadows on the bottom-left of the door. The hard part was fitting the new door into the space while accommodating all the distorted perspective. The shadow part was pretty easy.

puraidodes

It was good thing that OP did not request to also to change the reflections on the floor.😓