What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Extracting Elements

Cox

Hi guys,

I have the attached photo and I must tell you from the start it`s the only one that exists of that sticker, the car and the sticker are no more.
If someone could extract the sticker and make it black with a white background it would be super. I want to replicate the sticker and I can't extract it.
Thank you.

239999237_968384240692151_2097372035647758221_n.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @Cox
How does this work out for you. Note that I did not stretch it vertically yet probably needs that for accuracy of the sticker given the slight angle to the car yet this should be a good starting point unless you need more help.
Hope you this helps
John Wheeler

nebunu-5000-px.png

Cox

It`s awesome, can u like stretch it I don't know how to say this like to make it straight "in front" like it`s drawn on a piece of paper, and if you could separate it would be nice. If is not too much to ask.
Or maybe you can help me find the font, or something close to it ?
Thank you

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
It`s awesome, can u like stretch it I don't know how to say this like to make it straight "in front" like it`s drawn on a piece of paper, and if you could separate it would be nice. If is not too much to ask.
Or maybe you can help me find the font, or something close to it ?
Thank you
Hi @Cox
To clarify, you wan the text adjusted so that it looks as if it was written straight across such as on lined paper with no size emphasis or curvature/bending from left to right.
That can be done yet if what you want is a more accurate representation of the font, that would be quite difficult unless the font can be tracked down.
I gave a look for the font yet did not have any luck and maybe another forum members can find something that will work for you.

To reverse engineer the image to a high quality font is beyond my skill and also the time I can put in to this project. I suggest we see if someone can come up with a font or maybe post another request specifically to find the font in your image example and go that direction. If that does not work and you want the existing pixel text manipulated and characters slightly separated, I can to that yet it won't looks like a clean crisp font.

Up to you on how you wan to proceed
John Wheeler

Cox

Thank you for your time, I was looking at the text and it needs a little adjustment where the "e,b" is to be more understandable the rest is perfect.

thebestcpu

Guru
Thank you for your time, I was looking at the text and it needs a little adjustment where the "e,b" is to be more understandable the rest is perfect.
Let me see what I can to to clean up the E and B letters and will repost in a while
John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
Well that was a little tougher than I thought without a font. Cleaning up the E and B made them not fit with the other letters very well. So I cleaned up all the letters a bit.
That's about all I can do today on this project and hope you like the end result
John Wheeler

Better-E-and-B-smoothed.png

JeffK

Guru
Well that was a little tougher than I thought without a font. Cleaning up the E and B made them not fit with the other letters very well. So I cleaned up all the letters a bit.
That's about all I can do today on this project and hope you like the end result
John Wheeler
John -
I' m really curious how you extracted the image. Tried a few things but none worked, ie blending modes, magic eraser, etc.
Can you provide some insight into your process? Thanks!
- Jeff

thebestcpu

Guru
John -
I' m really curious how you extracted the image. Tried a few things but none worked, ie blending modes, magic eraser, etc.
Can you provide some insight into your process? Thanks!
- Jeff

Sure @JeffK
It took a bit of iteration yet I'll walk you through the Layer Stack.

First step is to crop the image to only work on the sticker on the car.
Then I added a Threshold Adjustment Layer and played with the slider to get a decent B&W image. Note that I added and Invert Adjustment Layer to have the Objects Black and the Background White:

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.45.14 PM.png

This only gets you close so then I added above the image and below the Threshold Layer a pixel Layer Initially set to 50% gray and the Blend set to Soft Light as shown in the image below. Note 50% gray with Soft Light Blend does nothing yet you can paint with a lower opacity brush in white to Dodge the image (make lighter) or again a low opacity brush in black to Burn the Image (make darker). What this does is locally change the Threshold point between B&W. Later on to make the E and B more readable I painted in this Layer to force the E and B to be more distinct:
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.45.52 PM.png

To also make the letters more distinct I turned the Image Layer to a Smart Object and added a little bit of Guassian Blur and here is the resulting image:
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.46.11 PM.png

Now its looking a lot cleaner.

From here I brought it into Adobe Illustrator to do a vector trace as with the settings in the image below:
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.46.37 PM.png

This created both clean edges and a vector form and could use as the final result if that were desired. I exported to PNG with the width set to 5000px and posted the result.

Many different ways to tune up the image to taste with the above steps and just stopped when it looked good to me.
Note that I just made this up on the fly and not a specific technique. I am sure there are many ways to approach this type of problem.
If there are any more questions just ask :)
John Wheeler

JeffK

Guru
Hi @thebestcpu -
Thanks for outlining the process. I understand what you did and why you did it. Bringing it into Illustrator for final work was an excellent choice.
Not to worry if this wasn't a specific technique - what mattered is the final result!
Thanks again for the good work and taking the time to explain!
- Jeff

ex_teacher

Guru
I thought it would be a fun challenge to create the lettering from scratch. I knew it would not have the same hand drawn look but my rationale was that the 'slicing' would provide enough free hand look to carry it off. The key word here is THOUGHT because I never got the 'slicing' logic... not even close. What I do have is something vaguely like it that is more readable so I'm posting it in the unlikely circumstance the OP can use it. Here are two versions in PNG format

NEBUNU_1.png