What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having trouble with creating a reflection for this image

markor2

How would you go about creating a reflection for this image? When I flip it vertically I don't really get what I want and rotating it doesn't help.

I want to create a reflection that touches all the legs of the bed.

Spone-Bed-1.jpg

JeffK

Guru
The problem that I see here are that the underside of the bed isn't visible and there are only 3 legs, not 4.
Even using the perspective tools won't render a complete reflection.
You're most likely better off with a shadow than a reflection. Hopefully someone else will come up with a solution - I tried but couldn't get it...

JeffK

Guru
This is the best that I can do first using the perspective tool, then the warp tool. Masked off part of the image...

bed reflection edited.jpg

SCTRWD

Power User
Don't try to make everything with one distortion. Make two different distortions: one for the left side and the other one for the right side.
Select the left side of the bed, copy it on it's own layer and convert to Smart Object. Apply Distort.
Do the same with the right side. Tweak distortions so that they meet seamlessly.

JeffK

Guru
@chrisdesign - I tried breaking the image into parts but still couldn't get it to work. Incredibly frustrating. Could you please provide some insight into your process? I'd greatly appreciate it! :bowdown:
- Jeff

SCTRWD

Power User
With transform this little hack may also help:

Maybe the layers help.
Sorry my workflow is a bit old school.

1. Make a selection of the lower part of the bed. Copy/paste it on a new layer. Flip it vertically. Duplicate this layer.
2. On one layer delete the left half , on the other layer delete the right half.
3. The difficult part is to distort the left partition and the right partition exactly in the same way, so they still join in the center.
4. I added gaussian blur to both partitions.

The rest you can see on the screenshot.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-10 um 16.40.09.png

JeffK

Guru
Maybe the layers help.
Sorry my workflow is a bit old school.

1. Make a selection of the lower part of the bed. Copy/paste it on a new layer. Flip it vertically. Duplicate this layer.
2. On one layer delete the left half , on the other layer delete the right half.
3. The difficult part is to distort the left partition and the right partition exactly in the same way, so they still join in the center.
4. I added gaussian blur to both partitions.

The rest you can see on the screenshot.
View attachment 123903
Thanks Chris. I appreciate the outline and the workspace you posted. This image definitely has to be split in parts. Simple perspective just didn't work. Appreciate your explanation- I'm going to try it again to see if I can work it out!
- Jeff

JeffK

Guru
With transform this little hack may also help:
I feel that perspective somehow plays onto this. Thanks for rhe link - every tip helps on this one!