What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Improove the quality of image for enlargement

Nick Stuart

I wanted to ask your advice about an image. I've got a picture of my ol' dawg that I wanted to get blown up and printed on canvas, the trouble is it's a poor quality photo snapped on a phone in poor light. I need some advice to see if it can be improved to the point where it can be enlarged to 80cm x 60cm i.e. pretty big, without looking absolutely awful.

My other option is to use a filter to make it abstract. I had a version done of it following a YouTube tutorial I'd seen but it didn't come out as I'd imagined. You might not use any of these filters in your work but I know you're a bit of a whizz in photoshop so may have some knowledge. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I'm attaching the original file and the filtered versions so you can see what I'm working with.

Cropped final pic.jpg

Zac Knife oil effect.jpg

Hi Illusion, please forgive my ignorance but I'm finding all this file size stuff very confusing. I like your versions but as far as I can tell, at about a 1mb file size they are going to be too small to stand the enlargement I have planned for them. Is there a larger file size available or could you explain what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for your patience.

Whether you can use it always depends on the viewing distance - the larger the picture, the greater the viewing distance, as a rule. And the greater the viewing distance, the lower the required min. resolution (ppi).

Just measure how big your own viewing distance is for a 75x100cm picture.

At a viewing distance of approx. 58cm(+), the images would still be usable (min. resolution of 95ppi)

Whether you can use it always depends on the viewing distance - the larger the picture, the greater the viewing distance, as a rule. And the greater the viewing distance, the lower the required min. resolution (ppi).

Just measure how big your own viewing distance is for a 75x100cm picture.

At a viewing distance of approx. 58cm(+), the images would still be usable (min. resolution of 95ppi)
Thank you very much for your help.

Back