What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make 300 the default ppi in PS 5.5?

scalarsky

Not sure if it's a registry thing. If it is, I'll need help. The default appears to be set at 72 ppi which was great for 1998. I know how to manually change the ppi but when working with many pics it can be time consuming. I have Windows 10. Thanks!

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @scalarsky
I don't have PS 5.5 anymore yet here is an Adobe forum link that might cover the issue for you:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/phot...ult-resolution-of-imported-photos/m-p/6001923

Note that this is just for newly created PS documents.
I believe for existing documents, when you open them, the ppi is set to the ppi embedded in the image metadata.
I have not tested the case if the image metadata is missing the ppi information what would be used yet that is not the normal case.

Hope this helps
John Wheeler

scalarsky

Interesting read, but like the original poster there, there was no simple answer to creating a new default, short of creating an 'action'. (All greek to me too.) But thank you for pointing me to a possible solution. :)

thebestcpu

Guru
Interesting read, but like the original poster there, there was no simple answer to creating a new default, short of creating an 'action'. (All greek to me too.) But thank you for pointing me to a possible solution. :)
Your welcome.
You are correct that this can be done by an Action yet along with an Action can be made automatic by using the File > Scripts > Script Event Manager capability. Choose the option from the dropdown for the Action to be run any time one opens a Document.
That way anytime a document is open, the Action to change the resolution is called and all documents whether new or not would be set to 300 dpi.
Just another option to consider
John Wheeler