What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Circular text in 7.0

veronicamae

Alright - it seems that 7.0 doesn't allow the whole "type text on a circular path" option as CS+ does (if it does, it sure didn't work for me), so:

How can I get text into a perfect, defined circle in 7.0? I've grown weary of searching for a tutorial.

ronmatt

Guru
you can't, that feature started in CS. and it doesn't work well in that. I have CS3 but haven't tried it because I rarely do it. When I used 7 I'd do the text on a path in Illustrator and import into PS.
Sorry....

veronicamae

I can't...AT ALL?

There's no nifty work-around to make it work other than trying to arch the text? And I don't have Illustrator. :(

That is beyond lame.

veronicamae

I did read, and I even ran a search, but did not find that.

So, thank you, I appreciate the brusqueness of your reply. :p

And that is certainly not a neat, tidy way to create a relatively short sentence of text into a perfect circle. Thanks for the link, though.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Welcome 8))

veronicamae said:
And that is certainly not a neat, tidy way to create a relatively short sentence of text into a perfect circle.

You have to either accept the limitations of PS7 or be prepared to upgrade or buy other software, because the solution offered on the site is about the best you can get and no, I didn't write the tutorial. :)

veronicamae

Gaussian said:
Welcome 8))

You have to either accept the limitations of PS7 or be prepared to upgrade or buy other software, because the solution offered on the site is about the best you can get and no, I didn't write the tutorial. :)

Thank you! I appreciate that. I'll have to accept PS7 (it's better than PS5 that i used to have!) then. I guess I'll figure something out - cuz that tutorial is...yeah. lol

:)

MindBender

Guru
So, thank you, I appreciate the brusqueness of your reply. :p

It wasn'' brusque, it was jovial. So, you're welcome. :p

I guess I'll figure something out - cuz that tutorial is...yeah.

Unfortunately the functionality you're looking for was a long time in coming to Photoshop. It has been available in Illustrator for a long time. Ironically, there was a plugin that would work in PS5 that won't work in PS7 that would do text on path very elegantly just as it works in Illustrator. Short of using Illustrator or upgrading your copy of Photoshop, you're stuck with kludgey methods like that.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
veronicamae said:
I guess I'll figure something out - cuz that tutorial is...yeah. lol

Again, there is no better solution as described in the tutorial and it's not because I'm defending the person who wrote it. If you want to create circular text in PS7 and have it look clean/sharp, then there is no better solution than the text warp tool. If you want to experiment yourself, then give it a try, otherwise you're just wasting your time and trust me... I'm only saying this for your benefit Veronica. ;)

ronmatt

Guru
Hey...I didn't get the impression he was looking for a tutorial on 'HOW' to create text on a path. I assumed he wanted to find the command. which STILL doesn't exist in 7........Just tryin' to sell some product here.. my Adobe stock wasn't
lookin' that good last quarter.. :D

Webperties Smo

Hey guys!! Like you i was desperately searching for a way to round text. Instead of using the marquee tool use custom shape(ellipse) tool- and select path, do this on a new layer, select text and hover your mouse over the custom shape (ellipse). you've got yourself rounded text!!! cheers!!!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Webperties Smo, you have bumped a six year old thread. Try to notice the posting dates. While we value and encourage your input, the original poster has probably solved this issue since or moved on. Don't worry as this is common.