What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting from Adobe RGB to sRGB color correction

ppersson86

Hi,

I work as a retoucher and a huge problem I have is when I work for a client who both wants to print and put their ads on the web.

Im always working in Adobe RGB unless Im doing a job for web only.

My problem is that when I convert my images from Adobe RGB to sRGB it narrows down the colors. I wonder if anyone out there has any solution to how to compensate for the loss of colors? Im not sure it's possible to just do a curve that compensates for the colors I loose?

Would very much appreciate an discussion around this subject, and if anyone has a good solution I would be more than happy if you could share your technique with me.

Very Best,
//P

Steve

Retired Administrator
Most web browsers are able to use Adobe RGB it really shouldn't be an issue.
If you have to have an sRGB why not do a "save as" and give the customer two images?

ppersson86

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply.
The issue is that the standard user setting in most browsers are sRGB. And most of the people out there do not even know that there are different color profiles to choose between.

I am doing two versions for my clients, but the issue is that, when I convert my Adobe RGB file into sRGB it changes the colors. That's when I need to do a compensation/correction to match my correct colors. You see, I spend hours of matching colors and I want it to look the same in all medias.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Right, I get your point.
And you're finding that the Adobe space doesn't look right when viewed on the web?
That isn't supposed to be an issue today but I guess it is for you.

Hopefully someone here can help you out.

DannyOlivier

I always have to covert things to CMYK (Coated Fogra 27) for print (this is where I do the colour correction) and will then convert it back to RGB to keep the same colours in each image but one for web and one for print. Do you print from Adobe rgb?

Tom Mann

Guru
@OP - pls post an Adobe RGB and an sRGB version of the same (proematic) image so that we can double check your conversion technique.

Tom

Tom Mann

Guru
Whoops - just came back to this thread to see if the OP posted an example and spotted a typo:
"proematic" (sic) ---> "problematic".

T

Tom Mann

Guru
@OP - When most people correctly compare an Adobe RGB file to an sRGB file, especially when this comparison is made on a conventional, mid-range or lower monitor, especially laptop screens, they are hard pressed to see much of a difference. The main reason for this is that most ordinary monitors simply can't even display all the colors within sRGB, let alone a wider gamut color space like Adobe RGB, so both versions look almost identical on such monitors. In addition, even if the person is using a pro quality, extended gamut monitor, the extended gamut of Adobe RGB over sRGB is mostly in a small number of specific, deeply saturated colors.

I'm not saying that this applies to you, but, by far, the usual reason people say that they see a big difference between the two color spaces is that they did not correctly tag the Adobe RGB version of the image (or embed an actual color profile), so, even color-managed applications will incorrectly interpret the numbers in the Adobe RGB file as if it was an sRGB file, and the colors will appear noticeably (and incorrectly) muted. Put differently, the comparison is often done incorrectly.

If you post the files as I requested earlier, we will be able to tell you if there is any problem like this.

BTW, I am also worried that in an earlier post, you said:
"...The issue is that the standard user setting in most browsers are sRGB. And most of the people out there do not even know that there are different color profiles to choose between..."

I'm sorry, but your statement is not correct. I know of no modern browser in which end users have to (or even can) manually select different color profiles. At most, all they can do is turn on and turn off color management.

As of a couple of years ago, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and even Internet Explorer all implemented reasonably good versions of color management in which images with embedded color space tags for sRGB and Adobe RGB (or an actual profile for any other space) are automatically displayed quite accurately, with absolutely no user intervention needed.

This statement that you made is another reason why I suspect that you are not correctly embedding the correct color space metadata info (the "tag") for browsers to act upon.

That being said, for all I know, at this point, you might very well be seeing (and worried about) the true differences between sRGB and Adobe RGB, and not experiencing one of the non-fundamental problems mentioned above. If we can eliminate those as possibilities, then I'll be happy to discuss how I try to compensate for the true differences between these two color spaces.

Tom

PS - As a matter of interest, for the last couple of years, I've been using a high end, very accurate NEC monitor with Spectravison color profiling. However, because I'm just starting work on a major advertising job, and am concerned about the same issues as you are facing, just last week, I placed an order for the newest version of it that has an AH-IPS panel. Hopefully, as I tend to use ProFoto a lot, the even wider gamut of the new monitor will let me see further into the corners of the various color spaces. It was just shipped, and I should have it in a couple of days.