What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blending a patch of sky with clouds added to sky of another photo

Tuli

I am trying to add a patch of sky with clouds to a photo of a flowering tree's sky (host). How do I blend the skies?

I tried to match the patch's color as much as possible to the sky color of the host but both are of uneven darkness (darker in one area then another, in both the host & the clouds photos); there is a slight difference in color which is noticeable after erasing the added sky with a soft, low opacity eraser as close to the clouds as possible; there is an "aura" of the old sky.........

Another way: I duplicated the host layer, selected the sky, added a layer mask to the duplicate. If the added sky is darker I dragged the mask into the cloud's layer holding the Alt key. The clouds disappeared. If the added sky is lighter I dragged the mask into the clouds layer changing the blend mode to lighter color; didn't work either! I tried many different methods and am desperate. I need this for a very important project and time is running out on me! I would be very, very grateful if you could help!!! (Photoshop CS5)

Tom Mann

Guru
The best approach usually depends on the exact details of the image. For example, whether the near foliage is pin sharp, sorta-kinda sharp, or intentionally OOF makes a big difference as to the best method. So, is there any chance you can post the images under discussion?

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with Tom.

Without images, it's hard for us to visualize what your referring to.

Replacing a sky is fairly easy.
On my flowering tree image, I have used an Alpha Channel selection process to isolate the sky.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 9.46.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 9.31.05 AM.png

Made a selection from the Alpha Channel and applied a layer mask to mask the original sky.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 9.31.41 AM.png

Then it's just a matter of placing a new sky image below the original layer.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 9.35.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 9.35.19 AM.png

Last edited:

Tuli

HI Tom, Thank you so much for responding. You are a life saver. Sure, I'l send the images. How do I upload large files of several MB? Thanks

Tuli

Thanks a lot for responding and for your beautiful example.
1. How do you crete the mask on the alpha channel? with selections tools?
2. The problem with selecting the sky is that there are many little flowers; how do you create a mask so intricate?
3. What you did makes sense: replacing the whole sky.
I was going to use only a patch of sky - a part of a photo with other details, superimpose it on the flowers photos and blend the skies.
is it possible?
It might be a better idea to photograph one that has only sky and clouds and replace the whole sky.
4. I have four different photos shot in different places and conditions. each one of three has blossom (different on each)
the fourth in only sky. I need to add clouds - different clouds to different panels and have the sky in all 4 match.

This is a quick and dirty compilation of the final composition. Ignore the clouds...
The 2nd is one of the original

0119 Crab + 136 Buds + Wt&Pink-4 w final.jpg

DSC_0119 CRAB for ceiling ORG.jpg

Tuli

The colors here look completely different (very faded & dull) than on my computer

Tom Mann

Guru
Sorry, guys ... The electricity just went off, so I can only see this thread on my phone, not my real computer, but the usual reason for color changes upon posting is that your image was in a color space other than sRGB, for example, Adobe RGB, or ProPhoto. Check this first.

Tom M

Tuli

I thought that we can brainstorm and discuss it together; team work.
If you prefer that I just "talk" to you that's fine.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We can all brainstorm, but you responded to Tom here......

HI Tom, Thank you so much for responding. You are a life saver. Sure, I'l send the images. How do I upload large files of several MB? Thanks
So I thought your were wanting help from him. I just figured that my example in my post was not what you were looking for.

Tuli

Tom responded first. Your example is great! I even wrote to you that I might need to adjust to your example and try to photograph sky with clouds only in order to replace the whole sky. It's good to know your idea anyway! very educational! I would prefer to use clouds that I have especially since I am under tremendous pressure from all sides
and already spent way to much time on this on account of crucial matters so it be good to use what I have.

In any event, my MAIN PROBLEM ALWAYS here and otherwise is HOW TO GET A FINE-TUNED SELECTION when the border line includes many VERY SMALL TINY DETAILS like small flowering tree blossom, landscape with many tree tops (especially pointed ones) in the background etc.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Finally, the electric power to the house is back on, at least for a while, so I was able to look at your attachments in post #5 in this thread on my real computer, not my phone.

I was correct - they are in Adobe RGB, not sRGB, and that's almost certainly the reason for the color change you are seeing.

While more and more software is able to correctly display images in color spaces other than sRGB, by far, the safest choice is always to post on the web in sRGB.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, so lets just add a new cloud.

I duplicate the original layer.

On the duplicated layer, I first Isolate the tree as we did before. I do this so I can make a color adjustment to the clouds that wont effect the tree.
In this image I have the original layer turned off.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 1.30.06 PM.png

Now turn on the original layer.
I then add a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer to the original layer.
The adjustment layer only affects the sky since I have the tree masked off.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 1.31.37 PM.png

Lets say I want to put a new cloud here.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 1.38.44 PM.png

I open a new cloud image.
I move the new cloud image into my working document.
I place the new cloud layer between the H&S adj. layer and the Duplicated original (which is the uppermost layer) and I add a layer mask to it.
I want to use this cloud.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 1.33.27 PM.png

On the new clouds layer mask, I use the brush tool to mask away anything I don't want to be visible.
The layer mask will look like this.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 1.34.00 PM.png

Here is the final image.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 1.34.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 1.43.54 PM.png

Tuli

I got logged out and for some reason wasn't able to log in until now.

Thanks a million! Your advise is FANTASTIC!!! Both techniques are extremely useful definitely for this project and for many cases. You are a life-saver indeed!
I need to study what you wrote/did and learn how to use Alpha-Channel and turn it into a mask so that I won't ask you questions that I might be able to understand myself
since, on 1st reading, I didn't understand everything that you wrote. But these two technique are exactly what I need!!!!!! Being able to create a detailed mask w Alpha channel is incredible!!!
I can't thank you enough!!!
I would like to do be able execute it this evening (I am eastern time) since I need to present it in a meeting tomorrow
I would be grateful if, in case I don't manage to understand something, I could ask you later. Until when are you available
Thanks a million!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm usually around all day until around midnight (central). But anyone can answer your questions if I'm not here.

Tuli

I tried color range before it didn't give me a "fine-tunes" mask for the tiny details.
WHat do you recommend better: Alpha channel or color-range? which one is better? which one is easier?

How do I match the sky color in all four images?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's a fairly sharp photo with decent res. I definitely think Alpha masking is better, but it's much more difficult to accomplish with an image like this.

As I said above, I almost achieved the same results with color change. I made a selection of the blue, then I held down the 'shift key" to add more of the colors of the sky to the selection.
The whole selection only took about 10 to 15 seconds and I had as good of a selection of the tree that I had with the alpha channel mask.