What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blending a patch of sky with clouds added to sky of another photo

Tuli

I examined well your great example from 2:44 of adding a cloud.
If I understand correctly, you adjusted the sky color on the original layer by using H&S adj layer resulting in an excellent match to the cloud sky.
In this case, when you added the cloud with whatever leftover sky it matched well the original/main sky.

I tried matching using both H&S & selective color. Since the sky in both the original photo and the clouds photo aren't homogeneous I couldn't match well.
What do you do in order to blend the clouds remaining sky color with the main sky?

I am going now to try color-range again (as I wrote, I didn't get good results in the past) since I haven't used alpha before and from what you write it's not simple.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If I understand correctly, you adjusted the sky color on the original layer by using H&S adj layer resulting in an excellent match to the cloud sky.
Yes

Tuli said:
What do you do in order to blend the clouds remaining sky color with the main sky?
Not sure I understand the question. I matched the colors using the H&S adj. layer. I think I only had to raise the saturation. I simply compared the two images until the sky was approximately the same. If I'm being honest, they were not as close as I would normally make them, but I was just trying to hurry a to make an example. If a H&S adj. layer wont do the trick, I almost always resort to Curves adj. layer as this usually works better.

As for blending the clouds together, I used a layer mask on the new cloud layer and blended with the Brush Tool set to black. I essentially masked out everything I did NOT want showing from the new cloud layer.

Tuli

1. I matched the clouds' sky & the main sky as well as I could using H&S & selective color which works pretty well.
I don't do well with curves. The problems, as I stated, is that both skies have a range of blues, not homogeneous blue, darker in some areas than other.
so what do I match the darker? lighter? therefore, matching the best I can when I incorporate the cloud with the main sky there is an area around the cloud
that doesn't match.

Tuli

2. When masking the tree, in any method, the original cloud is lost.
I used color range maticulously around all the flowers for best definition.
I tried not to include white in order to save the cloud but there is some white in the sky.
There is also some white in the flowers!!! Will it be the same with Alpha?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
2. When masking the tree, in any method, the original cloud is lost.
I used color range maticulously around all the flowers for best definition.
I tried not to include white in order to save the cloud but there is some white in the sky.
There is also some white in the flowers!!! Will it be the same with Alpha?
No, remove the cloud as well.

Review of instructions. Make a duplicate of the original image. Turn off the original image. Select and use the color range to make a selection on the duplicate layer. Once you click OK to the color range window, then hit the create a layer mask icon at the bottom of the layers panel, this will add a layer mask to the layer. If the selection is backwards, click once on the layer mask to select, then hit Shift + Cmd/Cntrl + I to invert the mask.

Now turn your original layer back on. Place the H&S adj. layer between the two layers. Because the tree is masked in the duplicate layer, it will not allow the color change to the original layer to show through.

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 5.53.14 PM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is the duplicate layer with the tree masked.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 5.55.22 PM.png

This is with the original layer turned back on.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 5.55.33 PM.png

This is after the H&S adj. layer has been added between them.
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 5.55.41 PM.png

There's no need to preserve the original clouds during the Color range selection process.

Last edited:

Tuli

1. I matched the clouds' sky & the main sky as well as I could using H&S & selective color which works pretty well. I don't do well with curves.
The problem, as I stated, is that both skies have a range of blues, not homogeneous blue, darker in some areas than other. So what do I match the darker? lighter? Therefore, matching the best I can, when I incorporate / add the cloud into the main sky there is a visible area around the cloud that doesn't match. How do I blend the colors?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How do I blend the colors?
We've been over this.

You can color match the new cloud layer to the original layer, you can color match the original to the new cloud layer (like I did in post #14), or you can change both layers with an H&S, Curves, or Selective Color adjustment layer.

If you change both layers, you will have to use a clipping mask. In other words, you will have to clip the adjustment layer to the layer you want it to affect. In doing so, the adjustment will not affect the layers below the layer it is clipped to.

This is how you create a clipping mask: Right click the crop shape layer and select create clipping mask or hover your cursor between the two layers while holding down the alt/option key, you will see the cursor turn into a box with a black angled arrow pointing down, then click.

Here I have clipped the H&S adj. layer to the new cloud layer.
Since there's nothing below the Curves Adjustment layer, there's no need to clip that one.
Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 12.05.38 AM.png

Note: In post #14, I show the Curves Adjustment layer clipped............it does not have to be.

Tuli

Hi IamSam,
instructions for replacing the sk are great! It was very exciting to see it; as you explained so well it's ver simple and easy.
Also, advising me of how to create a precise mask is invaluable! i am very grateful to you for your kindness & patience!

I have been working on it for hours and I don't get anywhere! I am getting desperate and might not be able to do it!!1
As you know, I have four panels so I must have the different sky/clouds in each
but they all have to match in color and clouds "style". I will need to add clouds in desired locations, sizes etc for the overall composition.
(Of course I need to match the sky in all four panels).
The main problem that I have, I guess I didn't do a good job explaining; I'll try doing better now:
The added cloud's sky is not homogeneous/even/smooth? meaning: some areas are darer than other. Same with the "hosting sky.
If I match the light if the clouds' sky to the light of the host, the dark of both don't math.
Moreover, when I place the clouds' patch on the host sky, the colors and darkness of the clouds sky patch meet different darkness on the host
i.e. dark next to light & vice verse.
Is it possible to blend when the bordering colors are different?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The main problem that I have, I guess I didn't do a good job explaining; I'll try doing better now:
Thanks for the props. You have done perfect job of explaining, thanks. Where you are lacking, is in understanding that I have explained this to you many times now.

Allow me to re-state what I have already stated in post #28.

1. You can color match the new cloud layer to the original layer.

2. You can color match the original layer to the new cloud layer (like I did in post #14).

3. You can change both layers with an H&S, Curves, or Selective Color adjustment layer. If you change both layers, you will have to use a clipping mask. In other words, you will have to clip the adjustment layer to the layer you want it to affect. In doing so, the adjustment will not affect the layers below the layer it is clipped to.

If you have 4 panels, you will have to do one of the above to all 4.

I can't help you with this thing you refer to as homogeneous until you have posted an example.

However, I can tell you this, it should NOT matter! If you are doing what we have been discussing, there is no need to closely match a single cloud to that of the original layer. Clouds are white and grays and sky is blue................all you need to do is get the blues close enough that it's not so noticeable.

Before you respond, PLEASE post images of what you are doing. I fear you are making this much more complicated that it needs to be.

Tuli

Thanks so much for your patience. I feel bad that you take time to repeat; There is no need to repeat what you said but again I didn't explain properly.
I will look for a good example; picture is worth a 1000 words, right/ maybe 2,000...).

ERASE PART OF A CLOUD: Is it possible to erase a part of a cloud so that the edge will look "cloudy" / fluffy. I haven't found a brush good for this, even id soft & low opacity. it. is there a technique for doing this?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
ERASE PART OF A CLOUD: Is it possible to erase a part of a cloud so that the edge will look "cloudy" / fluffy. I haven't found a brush good for this, even id soft & low opacity. it. is there a technique for doing this?
YES! I showed you how this should be done in post #14!!!!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is where we are.

You either have four panels with different color skies or, you could have what I show below. (which is what I thought you had.........I must be wrong.......who knows since you won't post images)

The trees would be isolated and the BG would be transparent.
Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 11.50.16 PM.png

You can add in a single color sky using a color fill layer.
Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 11.52.03 PM.png

A gradated sky using the Gradient Tool.
Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 11.52.12 PM.png

Or one with clouds using a new cloud BG image.
Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 11.52.24 PM.png

If you want to add a single cloud you will use the steps I provided in post #14.

EITHER way...............you will first have to do one of the following.

1. You can color match the new (single, isolated) cloud layer to the original layer.

2. You can color match the original layer to the new cloud layer (like I did in post #14).

3. You can change both layers with an H&S, Curves, or Selective Color adjustment layer. If you change both layers, you will have to use a clipping mask. In other words, you will have to clip the adjustment layer to the layer you want it to affect. In doing so, the adjustment will not affect the layers below the layer it is clipped to.

Last edited: