What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Keyboard Shortcuts for Text & Typography

Yutosi

Power User
This has came up in the forum a few times, so I thought I would post this for everyone.

I am writing this first for Windows, I'll add Mac OS commands later.

Photoshop Text Keyboard Shortcuts are useful to speed up your workflow when using typography in Photoshop.

Select the Text Tool by pressing the letter "T" on your keyboard.

CTRL+Enter will commit text changes after you have finished typing. This is very useful because just pressing Enter will start a new paragraph, and pressing a key for another tool will just type in that letter.

CTRL+H will hide the selection color with when you have all the text selected. This is very useful to help you see an accurate preview of what the text will look like, even when you have text selected. Useful when changing with text colors in particular!

CTRL+Shift+Left Arrow or Right Arrow will select the next or previous whole word.

CTRL+Shift+< or > decreases or increases the selected font-size by 2 points.

CTRL+Shift+ALT+< or > decreases or increases the selected font-size by 10 points.

ALT+Left Arrow or Right Arrow keys will increase or decrease letter kerning by 20.

CTRL+ALT+Left Arrow or Right Arrow keys will increase or decrease letter kerning by 100.

ALT+Up Arrow or Down Arrow will move the selected text baseline up or down by 2.

CTRL+ALT+Up Arrow or Down Arrow will move the selected text baseline up or down by 10.

CTRL+Shift+L, R or C will align the selected paragraph text justify left, justify right or center.

Double Click on the "T" icon of a text layer in the layers panel will select all text in that layer. This is of course not a keyboard shortcut, but I find it useful.

If you guys have additional tricks for text and typography in Adobe Photoshop please share them.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Great post, thank you for sharing. I think these will be very helpful to a lot of people.

aleca

Thanks for this shortcuts.This is very useful I get new stuff from this post for our web designing work..Thanks for sharing

JgraphNet

Power User
Kerning individual letters: Click to put the cursor behind the letter you want to kern. Alt/Opt + Right- or Left Arrow Key moves the letter in front of cursor a notch for every tap on arrow key.

Hitting Enter on the numeric keypad will also commit text and not do a carriage return. Laptops without it - tough luck. Use Ctrl/Cmd + Enter. Single click on type layer in Layers Panel does it too, tho not a keyboard shortcut.
Or click checkmark in Options Bar.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Thanks for bringing this back up smallnithin (and welcome to the site). Ctrl Enter alone will make my PS life a lot easier!

daltondavis

Dude. These are great. Thanks for sharing! :)

NamanyayG

YOU ARE GOD!
Ctrl+Enter! Saves sooo much of pointless clicking around!! Thanks!!