What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Fresh Eyes and Advice - Christmas Design

Dana Alley

My mother-in-law has hired me to digitally design some Christmas cards. She gave me this description.

"this is what I am thinking....snow falling on a christmas tree with a full moon in the backgroundAND (here's the kicker). I want a daisy coming up thru the snow.The daisy is the eye catcher.....maybe a moonbeam shining down on it ..."

This image is what I have 'so far'. I'm will to change.

SO...

1. Do you think I've designed what she is aiming for?
  2. Is there anything 'noticeably' obvious that needs to be fixed or changed.
Go easy on me. :) I'm still a little new.

Attachments

• ChristmasCard copy.jpg
    ChristmasCard copy.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Looks good.... but why the white ghost trees on the left?

And making the trees in the background darker? More like silhouette of trees with soft glow behind .

Dana Alley

Haha I guess I thought they looked 'whimsical'. I will experiment making those and the trees in the back darker. Good idea! Thank you!

Hoogle

Guru
I like the design but the trees on left are all iced over and snow covered and yet the tree on the right untouched. I also am not sure about the beam of light coming from the moon when you already have a constant glow coming from it. Ok I now my suggestion could be seen as religious but it is not meant to be how about the beam of light coming from a Star

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I like the design but the trees on left are all iced over and snow covered and yet the tree on the right untouched. I also am not sure about the beam of light coming from the moon when you already have a constant glow coming from it. Ok I now my suggestion could be seen as religious but it is not meant to be how about the beam of light coming from a Star

Doesn't have to be a beam at all .... more like a soft moon glow.

Dana Alley

Here it is after some slight darkening/highlighting. I like it a lot better. I do think a star would be more 'christmasy' but she asked for half moon. I'll bring it up to her and see what she thinks. This advice is awesome guys. keep it coming.

Attachments

• ChristmasCard2 copy.jpg
    ChristmasCard2 copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Dana Alley

I'm also assuming, when i go to print, that the 'moon beam' is going to be a bit darker in ink than on the image...thoughts?

Hoogle

Guru
I would say the light beam would be lighter if printing on white paper if you are printing on a cream colour paper then it will be more moon glow

ibclare

Queen Bee
Well this is a special request piece, and the daisy is significant to the client. :)

I think you are missing something Dana. She asked for a Full Moon, not a crescent and that is a big deal to me. Maybe to her too? Otherwise I think it is lovely. The daisy is maybe a bit too pronounced as far as the light and color fitting in with the background. I think it needs a bit of night time attitude! Sometimes making a selection, adding a layer of black to that and doing an overlay, adjusting opacity if needed, can give it the right kind of night time glow. Just a suggestion.

I know it has a moonbeam shining on it, but I think the beam is a bit large .. in the end, it's your decision and her right of first refusal or something like that. :mrgreen: After all, she may be your mom, but she's a kind of client too!

Last edited:

Dana Alley

OMG oops. The crescent moon was a mistake on my part LOL. I'll try darkening the daisy and give it a more 'night time' look (and fix the moon). Thank you your comment has been most helpful :)

ibclare

Queen Bee
You're welcome. We have to all remember that it's a Christmas card. As artists we want it to be a "work of art," and that's cool. I mean, I'm kind of a perfectionist too, so I'd work it till I couldn't see anymore! But it isn't for the cover of Vogue either, lol.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Here's an idea. By the way, the daisy looks a bit large since the fir tree is in the foreground. Maybe move the tree back or make it appear larger by having it go off screen so to speak. The dimensions are off of course and I didn't mess with the other trees or the moon; it's just to illustrate my concept.

FYI, the highlights are blend mode soft light.

But do remember, no matter what anyone else thinks, it's your creative decision. Have fun. I love doing stuff like that.

Attachments

• card.PNG
    card.PNG
    472.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: