What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Typography (unfinished)

jacko3396

This is in progress for a small news article on manchester with the subject of icons, I chose Stephen Patrick Morissey and this is what I have so far. Please tell me how I can improve it

Attachments

• My hand unfinished.jpg
    My hand unfinished.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hi! I love the way the type scrolls around the wrist. I think the rest of it is too small. There is plenty of space to move larger words and still follow the crease of the hand if that is what you are doing.

I would suggest and experiment, taking one of those words or the whole section of "Morrisey... little man ..." and trying a displace filter on it. I think the hand is smooth enough it wouldn't mess up the letters too much. Sometimes when you have thick text it ends up getting too broken up on the edges.

Or you might take the pen tool, create a path that subtly follows the mound of the palm and type Morrisey along it.

A displacement map in order to use the displace filter is actually easy. The idea is to get the letters to follow the shadow and light of the image they are on. So you will make a "map" for them to follow.

Right click on the hand layer, choose duplicate
In the popup window, in the dropdown, choose new and name it
Click OK
Flatten the document
Save it as a psd

Go to your type layer; I like to right click and make a smart object first
go to filter>distort>displace
You'll be given a popup window; just use the defaults to start with
choose your map and let Photoshop do the job for you

Here is where the smart object can help. If you think there is too much displacement in some areas but are happy overall, click on the filter mask. Choose a soft black brush and paint away some of the effect of the filter. If you are not satisfied overall with the filter effect, before you give up on it, undo your results (or because it is a sm. obj, drag to trash), redo the displace and change the setting, you can even try negative. If you like the way this filter works in general, look up how it works. It is one of the oldest filters in PS.

I'll try to do a sample of this application for you. Bit short on time. But someone else can help too.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Just tried the displacement map. It doesn't work well in this case.

I would still suggest a slight arc to the Morrissey which you can make best with a simple pen tool line, and larger font.

So after all that long-winded post above, my advice is one sentence!

Just to give you an idea, here is a pen tool example. Done with only two points, the beginning and the end of the line:

Morrissey.jpg

Last edited: