What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your BEST EVER work

ibclare

Queen Bee
That might just be too hard. I mean . . . categories, logo or effects; manipulations, simple but elegant vs. complex and romantic . . . I can't decide. I have favorites, but are they best ever?

egosbar

Guru
id encourage everyone to make a portfolio and put in their signature and put your favorite images there , i often look for signature portfolios

my favorite images are in my portfolio but remember im only six months old in ps years lol , as for picking the best ever mmmmmmmmmmmmm i agree with clare i cant

Crotale

Power User
I think inkpad's request is fair enough. It is implied and understood that most of us are likely to dabble in a myriad of art types, such as photography, digital painting and graphic design, not to mention all the levels of sub-categories in each of those areas. But I think it is a reasonable thing for each of us to post one piece that most defines who we are as an artist, photographer or designer.

What piece are you most proud of? Maybe you are proud of it because a lot of other people like it too. Or, maybe you are pruod of the piece because you put all your heart and soul into the work in a way that you normally do not dedicate yourself. Is there no one piece that you feel represents your best talent, skills and vision? Since you are the judge here, there is no popularity contest to win.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Heck no Crotale. You are very well-spoken and it is very thoughtful. Perhaps the work I am most proud of or which expresses my "essence" (go ahead, laugh ;) ) is, in fact, not my best piece, but one has to interpret the phrase "best ever" I imagine. That's going to be subjective no matter whether I view my portfolio of best pieces or someone else does. I have it narrowed down to 6 images in a composite doc. I'll look at it later and see if I can choose one. The entirety of the file I have cropped for my avatar is one of those. It is simple but combines several elements and effects such as gradients and shadowing to create an atmosphere. Here is where I get hung up. I see two sides of my persona so to speak. One is romantic and fantasy driven. The other is metaphorical also but is more minimalist. So, do I make two posts? Here is ClareB One and here is ClareB Two? ROFLMAO. I know, I'm quibbling now.

Maybe there is a good reason none of our members with more than newbie experience in Photoshop have yet posted their Best Ever Work. Hmmm, I wonder.

ibclare

Queen Bee
IK, I remember being quite surprised to see this and know how little time you had used PS. You have done super stuff since then, and I would have picked one of those for the level of mastery of technique and composition. It's tough to remember exactly which ones are yours (mind is going :rolleyes: ), but I think your entry for Challenge 12 was superbly done in all the criteria I consider.

egosbar

Guru
thanks clare , this site has really imspired me to learn as much about ps as i can , some very good artists visit these pages and i love looking at other artists work which is why i love the challenges , i was happy with the end result of challenge 12 after struggling for a few days too come up with an idea , anything i like i put in my sig portfolio hopefully i can continue to grow it with nice work and i think your right about probably adding a later image when i had learned more , i keep coming back too this one as my favorite to be honest because it was different to what i normally do so im changing my mind haha

Attachments

• shattered (2).jpg
    shattered (2).jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
re: "...Maybe there is a good reason none of our members with more than newbie experience in Photoshop have yet posted their Best Ever Work. ..."

Speaking just for myself, I consider my "best" work is in realistic photography. For most serious practitioners in this field, the goal is to make any photoshopping absolutely invisible, so this field just doesn't lend itself to showing off spectacular photoshop creations.

T

egosbar

Guru
absolutely tom , photography in itself is an artform even with or without photoshopping or invisible photoshopping , im drawn to an artistic approach as i used to paint in oils and this medium is so much more forgiving and less messy but id love to see some of your favorite photos trick is now can you pick one?

My "Best Ever Work" is usually one of my newest jobs.

This is it. A birthday present to my brother-in-law's 65th birthday.
150x100cm printed on canvas.

If I look back at some of my "best work" it would probably hurt everyones eyes if I would post an image from 1994.

Bruno65Final.jpg
Click to enlarge image.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
@ego & Clare re: picking a realistic photograph, I guess I could post a photo that was shot under a mixture of tungsten, metal halide, fluorescent and daylight sources of light and upon seeing the result, everyone's jaws would drop, and in awe, the world would collectively stop in their tracks and say,"Wow, he really tamed that lighting, didn't he!" :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, tho, I'll try to put together a few images that I feel were my best in some way, eg, showing someone's persona, overcoming location difficulties, got good words from the public, etc. Maybe one or two where I didn't rein in the Photoshopping so much, etc. Probably some of these will wind up being images that I've posted before, but I'll see if I can throw in some new ones.

@Chris - That's just wonderful! I was going to joke around about yours not being ornate enough, but decided that even with emoticons, that sort of humor can easily be misinterpreted when you are not talking to someone face-to-face, so I'll just say "It's gorgeous", and skip the attempt at humor.

More later,

T

@ego & Clare re: picking a realistic photograph, I guess I could post a photo that was shot under a mixture of tungsten, metal halide, fluorescent and daylight sources of light and upon seeing the result, everyone's jaws would drop, and in awe, the world would collectively stop in their tracks and say,"Wow, he really tamed that lighting, didn't he!" :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, tho, I'll try to put together a few images that I feel were my best in some way, eg, showing someone's persona, overcoming location difficulties, got good words from the public, etc. Maybe one or two where I didn't rein in the Photoshopping so much, etc. Probably some of these will wind up being images that I've posted before, but I'll see if I can throw in some new ones.

@Chris - That's just wonderful! I was going to joke around about yours not being ornate enough, but decided that even with emoticons, that sort of humor can easily be misinterpreted when you are not talking to someone face-to-face, so I'll just say "It's gorgeous", and skip the attempt at humor.

More later,

T

Thank you Tom for your interesting comment. I appreciate it very much. You have a way of saying it all between the lines without raising a question.
I like that and I like your hidden humor.

The thing is, if you would know this guy and his wife and their way of life, you would understand my way of creating such an ornate image. They just loved it! When you see a "bear of a guy" with tears in his eyes and his wife kissing me all over, then you know you just hit the "bulls eye" with your job. This is how I like it, whether it's business or privat work.

Regards Chris

inkpad.t

Guru
That's the beauty of what you think your best ever work is, not just a fantastic image you took or did in Photoshop. But what pleasure it gave you and or the person/s you did it for.. i think that's great chris..

ibclare

Queen Bee
OK then! How about a counterpoint to your work Chris! I still can't pick a favorite work, but it's in the top 3 of my most recent. I like black hats, so that's probably why I chose it! Just a wee bit less ornate than yours, lol. In fact minimalist is not really my style, though oddly the artwork I most admire is. Though I do really like yours. My observation about this intricate design is that the flow of color and texture creates a very simple design base. If anyone questions this, I advise one to stand back and squint till you can't see any detail and follow the geometry and color fields that result. That's what I say :mrgreen:

Dance studio.jpg

FaceTrace.jpg my black hat

That's the beauty of what you think your best ever work is, not just a fantastic image you took or did in Photoshop. But what pleasure it gave you and or the person/s you did it for.. i think that's great chris..

Thanks for your comment...always much appreciated.

OK then! How about a counterpoint to your work Chris! I still can't pick a favorite work, but it's in the top 3 of my most recent. I like black hats, so that's probably why I chose it! Just a wee bit less ornate than yours, lol. In fact minimalist is not really my style, though oddly the artwork I most admire is. Though I do really like yours. My observation about this intricate design is that the flow of color and texture creates a very simple design base. If anyone questions this, I advise one to stand back and squint till you can't see any detail and follow the geometry and color fields that result. That's what I say :mrgreen:

View attachment 34443

View attachment 34444 my black hat

Thank you Clare for your openhearted comment...
...and thank you for sharing your two images. The "work-dance-studio" is my favorite, simply stunning !!!

ibclare

Queen Bee
Thanks chris. It was fun for me to make. Most of my previous manipulations were more complex and fantasy oriented. I still like them and will eventually do more, but paring down the excess when I made this was a gratifying experience.

Crotale

Power User
egosbar, nice work.

Chris, wow!

Clare, I really do like the dance studio image.

As for my own "best" work, I am reposting this one because I put more effort and time into this than any other piece. I had a blast creating this, and it is all my own creation, no stocks are used. I was very pleased with how this turned out, as it was a huge poster that I had professionally printed and framed for a friend. I have been told by many in and out of the Gears community that this is an emotional piece, and that was my clear intent. I also entered into a contest over on deviantART and the comments were all very supportive.

brothers_to_the_very_end_by_crotale-d49d89f.png