What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sci-Fi Scene -Early Concept Art

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
This is an early conceptual idea of what I hope to be able to get in a finalized piece of art created almost entirely by my self from scratch right now, the background is a static image I found on the internet I'm using it as a target. the head however, was created by yours truly in mudbox, and then finalized (added textures, rendered etc) in 3ds Max 2015.

it looks a bit strange with the random highlights in places, that's the reflective map, silly me thought it acted like an alpha channel, it didn't, but i liked it, so I kept it, the final image will be using a raycasting renderer, so reflections will be of the other objects in the scene.

I also hope to do the rest of the body before too long, rig it up and add a helmetless head, or perhaps modify the current model so a head can be fitted underneath the helmet model.

Final_concept.jpg

this is pretty much my first baby step into ACTUAL 3d artwork, so I'd appreciate any input possible on this so i know if I'm going in the right direction and no, the model isn't good for games...

Last edited:
Looking good, Z. The hilights look okay.. probably need to tone it down. But in a full scene render, it might look OK.

Looks like a sci-fi/modern ninja by the looks of the helmet. Is that like nylon netting on it?

By itself it looks good most especially if you add a head in it... a closeup shot. But if you plan to create a full render with the entire body armor, the face may not be distinguishable most especially with the hilite on the face visor.

Looks like the baby's learning to run before learning to walk.... :cheesygrin:.......

What renderer are you using? in Studio Max?

Anything with Sci-Fi in the title has my attention. Looks good Zee, a few of the details are lost in the darkness of the jawline and neck area but it still looks good. I know it's in the early stages yet.

the nylon netting you speak of is merely an incomplete texture, on a retopologized model, the materials haven't been separated out and the displacement map hasn't been created, so it looks like the helmet has some sort of cover, it's a metallic/carbon fibre helmet.

I like the look, actually. I've seen every armor and helmet around in the usual metallic, grunge , bio-satium hi-tech fibre construction there is. This makes it unique.

But it's your baby...... but I'll say it again - I like the look.....

learning to walk is boring, when i got mudbox and 3ds I just dived straight into the deep end, got familiar with how the interface worked and then that was it, i was off!

To me that's a trademark of someone who REALLY wants to learn. Even someone who's going through the proper walk basics training can't create something like that.

:thumbsup:thumbsup.gif .... 2 thumbs up.

I'm withholding 3rd, 4th & possible 5th till we see the finished work.

MAJOR....... OOOOPS..... :shocked:

sorry Z.... :rofl:
(lizad facepalm)

that was supposed to be my reply... didn't realise I've hit the edit button rather than the reply with quote..... :rofl:

copying here so you can edit your post... sorry bout that.....

the nylon netting you speak of is merely an incomplete texture, on a retopologized model, the materials haven't been separated out and the displacement map hasn't been created, so it looks like the helmet has some sort of cover, it's a metallic/carbon fibre helmet.

I like the look, actually. I've seen every armor and helmet around in the usual metallic, grunge , bio-satium hi-tech fibre construction there is. This makes it unique.

But it's your baby...... but I'll say it again - I like the look.....

learning to walk is boring, when i got mudbox and 3ds I just dived straight into the deep end, got familiar with how the interface worked and then that was it, i was off!

To me that's a trademark of someone who REALLY wants to learn. Even someone who's going through the proper walk basics training can't create something like that.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: .... 2 thumbs up.

I'm withholding 3rd, 4th & possible 5th till we see the finished work.

Sounds really cool but I can't see an image, and clicking the link gives an Invalid attachment error.

Is it just me or is it down on purpose?

Regards.
MrTom.

sorry guys, i'll reupload the attachment and respond properly after lunch... Lizad! -_- XD

it was looking Good tut these admins these days to much power and no control how they use it lol.

really, i have to reconstruct my replies all over again?!

belay that... general synopis of the replies was THANKS GUYS! + something something texture +something something Raycaster + something something retopologized Model + something something high resolution + something something who needs to walk these days...

Last edited:
this is where i'm at with the body armour at present

so far.jpg

So is is Excellent, Great, Okay, or Don't quit your day job?

damn, I forgot to reply to this, thanks :)

model_new.jpg

Updated model, I don't like how mudbox is handling this, so I'm going to run this through an edge loop in 3ds, I should be able to get the precision just right edge modelling it instead. :)

Back