What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Turtle Fantasy

markr

It has been a while since I have posted anything on here. But I want to show you my latest work and I want to know what you think. Your honest opinion is highly appreciated :)

A Turtle Fantasy2.jpg

Updated version
A Turtle Fantasy3.jpg

All stocks are from Deviantart. The appropriate credits and links can be found on my deviantart page http://markreyntiens.deviantart.com/art/A-Turtle-Fantasy-464086072. But here is a screenshot of the stock used:

stock.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Markr, you've done a fantastic job on this composite! I can only see one minor thing I might change and that's the hard edge of the horizon, where the sky meets the water.

fotograffiti

Power User
to me it lacks dept. The clouds seem to be right behind the girl which is of course impossible.
Otherwise it is awesome.

markr

Thank you all for your comments! The clouds/horizon seems to draw too much attention. So I'm going to tweak that a bit more this evening. See if I can create a feel of depth if I soften them a bit. And this would also solve the harsh horizon line.

Last edited:

markr

Nice work, I didn't see anything wrong til Sam pointed out the horizon. the note in the bottle looks like it was challenging to do.

It's actually pretty easy once you know how to. Instead of working with one image of the bottle, you have to separate the highlights and shadows to 2 separate layers. You can select the highlights by going to your channels panel. Hold down the ctrl key and click on the RGB channel. This selects all the highlights. Duplicate the highlights to a new layer by pressing ctrl + J. Do the same for the shadows. But before duplicating the selection, you have to inverse it so the shadow areas are selected. Remove/hide the original image. And now all you have to do is play with the opacity of the highlights layer. I kept the opacity of the shadow layer at 100% because they outline the bottle, and you don't want to have a ghost like bottle :). And that is pretty much it, now you have a realistic looking transparant bottle. And I just placed the scroll behind the bottle and did a little work on the top, so it looks like it is coming out of the bottle.

Last edited:
Hi markr
I agree with all the comments. I look forward to see the "new" version.

Your composite is a perfect PS job of fantasy art! Awesome!

markr

Updated version in the original post. I tried to give it more depth by going brighter and blurrier to the horizon. Does that help? I couldn't fade the clouds to much because than the whole image was brighter and the lighting of the models and the ambient didn't felt right anymore.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree, the updated version provides a bit more depth to the image. As I said before, you've done an exceptional job with this composite! Excellent, cant wait to see more!

inkpad.t

Guru
Agree with all the others... except it dos not look right for me personally ? don't know what it is ?... i get the feeling the color balance is not there... i think its the sky colour ?. the original stock image you used looks blue, maybe this is throwing me out a little ? i just think the colour balance between the sky and the rest of it doesn't fit... but hay where I come from nothing dos.. only a personal point.

Jody S

It's actually pretty easy once you know how to. Instead of working with one image of the bottle, you have to separate the highlights and shadows to 2 separate layers. You can select the highlights by going to your channels panel. Hold down the ctrl key and click on the RGB channel. This selects all the highlights. Duplicate the highlights to a new layer by pressing ctrl + J. Do the same for the shadows. But before duplicating the selection, you have to inverse it so the shadow areas are selected. Remove/hide the original image. And now all you have to do is play with the opacity of the highlights layer. I kept the opacity of the shadow layer at 100% because they outline the bottle, and you don't want to have a ghost like bottle :). And that is pretty much it, now you have a realistic looking transparant bottle. And I just placed the scroll behind the bottle and did a little work on the top, so it looks like it is coming out of the bottle.

Thank you! This is exactly the concise explanation I needed for a product shot!