What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IBL or HDR images as light source.

MrToM

Guru
Some time ago I posted in a thread about HDR.

One reply was this:
Cool, MrTom! I don't do renderings, but I've heard about the IBL technique and it sounds very interesting. If you can post one of your images with and without the additional light sources derived from HDR...

Only too happy to oblige.
[This is half size]

table_03.png

I don't think I got it quite right, somehow I managed to lose the BG plate between the garden and the office so I had to 'fudge' it a little.

I could show you the 'without the additional light sources' but this is totally lit with one HDR image so it would just be black.

Anyway, I've never sliced together an image I've done in 3D with a photo I've taken so I'm pretty pleased with it regardless.

Regards.
MrTom.

Geeze, if you did what I think you did, that's realistic!

Just to make sure I understand what you did, could you run down the steps in the production of this image? I'm sure others would be interested. Presumably, you started with a 3D wireframe or other model of the car?

Tom M

Geeze, if you did what I think you did, that's realistic!

Thank-you Tom, that makes it all worth while.

I'm still not convinced its 100% though, I always seem to fall at the last hurdle, that hurdle being tonal and colour balance....I dunno, I just feel it could be better...anyway...

Sure I can give you a run down, no problem, it may turn into a lengthy post but that's the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Before I do, one quick question:

Is there a way to extract the jpeg thumbnails from a raw file? (Canon CRW file)
I've not seen anything in PS or CW that does this but that's not to say it can't be done...or maybe Adobe Bridge even?

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrTom.

Hey, Tom -

1) Please don't go into a lot of detail and spend a lot of time on this ... just a quick summary of the major steps would be great!

2) Yes, there definitely is a way extract the thumbnail from a raw file. I had to do this a couple of years ago, but I'm having a senior moment. JPEGSNOOP comes immediately to mind:
http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/jpeg-snoop.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpegsnoop/

...but I must be having a senior moment, because I can't remember for sure that's the software I settled on as I usually use it for JPGs, not raw files.

I'll keep thinking about it, but pls let me know if that works for you.

Cheers,

Tom M

Thank-you very much Tom, that does exactly what I needed...much appreciated.

So, a run down of producing the above image....where to begin?

Software used:
Autodesk 3dsMax 2014.
VRay renderer.
Adobe Photoshop.

Camera:
Canon 300D with canon 28-80mm lens. Polarizing filter.

I guess it all starts with the 3d model, the above 'RC Car' was just something I found interesting, It does actually exist which makes finding 'reference' images that much easier. The whole thing is modelled to scale, as much as it can be, and also 'rigged' for the steering. 'Rigging' involves setting pivot points and then linking each part together as it would be in reality, this enables you to 'pose' the model in whatever position you need easily and quickly, negating the need to move every part individually. This is also the basis for any animation you may do.

The modelling / material stage:
3dsMax_01.png

Once the model is done it then requires some materials. Materials are created very much like the real thing, with properties resembling those of actual materials....things like 'diffuse' colour, reflectivity, IOR, texture, glossiness, translucency, self-illumination etc etc....many many different things. Complex materials like metallic car paint require a multi-layered material much like PS layers, built up in stages until the effect is created.

The whole 'material' creation relies heavily on 'maps', much the same as 'masks' in PS they are greyscale images which can denote the presence of, or lack of, any property of any material. Diffuse maps are used to colour the material, opacity maps are used for the opacity of a material, texture maps for the texture.....etc etc. These 'maps' can also be avi, mp4 or gif animations which will sync with the animation of the scene....things like water ripples and smoke.

Once the model is built, and materials applied its then time for the lighting.
This can make or break a scene, a good model is nothing without good lighting. The 'scene' itself plays a big part in this too as light is calculated using data from not only the model and the lights but the surrounding 'environment' as well.....this is where the HDR comes into it.

You can add normal lights to the scene which follow religeously the technical specifications of real lights, rendering the scene takes everything into consideration...the position and size of every part of the model, the materials on the model...will they reflect light...will absorb light, will they bounce light onto parts of the scene etc etc, how many lights there are, where they point, their intensity, their distance from the subject.....and then there is the camera too!!....f-stops, shutter speed, ISO, distance to subject etc etc....all properties of the real thing....and you have to get it all right too!

Adding the camera:
3dsMax_02.png

So, back to the HDR. Instead of using 'lights' in the scene you can also use an HDR image. This is effectively placed in a hemi-spherical environment around the whole scene. Used as IBL it will illuminate the scene just as if the scene were part of that image meaning that any reflections on the model will in fact reflect the image of the HDR. This means you can create very complex 'scenes' without having to build any additional models to represent buildings or roads or rooms etc etc. IBL does of course mean that the lighting is absolutely spot on for that environment...it coming from the image itself.

To create the HDR used in the above I first had to take a series of photographs in RAW of a chrome ball placed as near to the position of where the object (the RC Car) would end up being. One final photo is taken without the chrome ball to act as the BG Plate for the final image....ie the environment in which the model will sit.

The RAW Chrome Ball photographs:
HDR_Image_5.png

A chrome ball is used to gather as much 'light' information as possible...a chrome ball gives you more than 180° viewing angle making it ideal for this purpose. These photographs are then processed in PS to generate one HDR image. Placing that image as the 'environment' in 3dsMax results in the model being lit by the exact same lighting as when the photographs were taken, and when used in conjunction with the BG Plate it does of course match perfectly.

The final HDR image:
HDR_Image.png

The 'render' can be set to exclude objects from the final image....an example of this is the ground plane on which the model sits. I don't need the ground plane as such but I do want the shadows cast by the 'Car' and any light reflections that may shine onto the table surface. When saved as a png or tiff file this is achieved via the 'alpha' channel, or you can save the 'Alpha' channel directly out of 3dsMax if you want to use it elsewhere.

And that's about it. The final stage is to just merge the model image with the BG Plate, levels and colour balance in PS.
It is a little more complex than I've described here but that's the general 'basics' of the workflow.

Regards.
MrTom.

That is a wonderful description, Tom. Thank you for writing it up. Let me look it over more carefully and respond more fully later.

Regards,

Tom M

Back