What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cartoon me!

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
Long time no see, everyone. I'm liking the new forum layout :D

Anywho, I made a drawing, as seen here:
IMG_20140806_035014_395.jpg

And turned it into an icon for myself! I suck at coloring so I think that was my major downfall here but I like the end result.
Any tips on good brushes to help color in stuff like this and any techniques you guys like to use would be awesome.
I'll probably re-do the coloring at some point but I was getting tired of working on it, haha.
newnewicon.png

Very attractive work Jess. The coloring is very nicely done, but if you use this picture for your avatar, painted structure or pattern is not important in the hair, because in this small size of 150 pixels, this is no longer visible. I would go for a more colorful approach in this case.

newnewiconChris.jpg

newnewiconChris150pix.jpg

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
Very attractive work Jess. The coloring is very nicely done, but if you use this picture for your avatar, painted structure or pattern is not important in the hair, because in this small size of 150 pixels, this is no longer visible. I would go for a more colorful approach in this case.

View attachment 48200

Nice, Chris! I like what you've done with it. I've been using it for multiple icons so the size isn't too small sometimes. I wanted to keep the colors as close to my actual hair and glasses as possible though but I like how much the one you made pops!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Jessica! Great to see you back and hangin' out!

I like your drawing. Chris's version is a bit hard, I prefer the softer color transitions of your original.

Chris's version..
Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 8.25.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 8.25.44 AM.png

Original
Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 8.25.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 8.26.00 AM.png

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
Hey Jessica! Great to see you back and hangin' out!

I like your drawing. Chris's version is a bit hard, I prefer the softer color transitions of your original.

Chris's version..
View attachment 48209

View attachment 48210

Original
View attachment 48211

View attachment 48212

Yeah I prefer the softer brushes myself when it comes to coloring. Really just personal preference but I probably will re-do the coloring later because now comparing it to the colors in Chris' version, they look pretty faded!