What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ruins at night

ddl

This is a composite of a pic I took with a planet and starfield I made. Critiques welcomed. What do you think/ how can I improve?

Attachments

• OLDRUINS.jpg
    OLDRUINS.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey ddl, the image is just too dark to discern any details. There seems to be a strong light source affecting the Planet, it stands to reason that the same light source would also be affecting the building slightly, or at least the reflected light off the Planet. The starfield is so dark and blurry, it's hard to even tell what it is. If you've ever looked at a night sky away from city lights, you know that the stars are crisp, in focus and very bright.

Last edited:

ddl

How's this?

Tweaked brightness and contrast and added a new star field. Ive discovered that after finishing a starfeild a contrast tweak helps.

Attachments

• OLDRUINS2.jpg
    OLDRUINS2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 3

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The building is much better, but I like the coloring of the planet in the first image you posted.

MikeMc

McGuru
I'm liking where its going...try playing by oversharpening...or High Pass filter and play with the blend modes....Make the small stuff explode!

ddl

Here it is with a bit of sharpening (high pass filter)

Attachments

• OLDRUINS2.jpg
    OLDRUINS2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mask the sharpening to the starfield only, the building looks much more natural with the softer focus. The edge of the building needs to be blended better, it's too sharp of an edge. Try changing the color and brightness of the planet back to the way it was in the first image.