What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lava on a building

I try to illustrate how it looks when hot lava pours from a building after a volcanic eruption.
Realistic or not? What do you think?
Critique or suggestions are very welcome.

Empire-State-BuildingLava.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Hmmmmm......difficult to say having never been stood next to a building during a volcanic eruption.

If anything I'd say it needed more lava in the background....its there in the foreground, blurred, and its on the building....but there is nothing behind that....unless the lighter 'streaks' are meant to be lava...?

I dunno for sure.....the background just looks 'empty' once you get past the building.

Apart from that yeah....if I ever do find myself next to a lava covered building, that's the sort of thing I'd expect to see....once I'd wiped white hot lava from my eyes...or whats left of them.

Regards.
MrTom.

Thanks for your comment MrTom, much appreciated.
It's a good idea to fill in some more lava in the background. I'll give it a try anyway.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Chris, first off, this is a great idea! Cudos on the concept.

I've looked at this image for awhile now. For me it's not conveying lava pouring from a building or even lava being thrown on a building from an eruption. I get the motion element of the lava moving in the air, it's the lava on the building itself that is throwing me.

Only this little section looks believable to me.....

Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 9.46.58 AM.png
The rest is too transparent or something.

Also, (even though I have never seen this in person) I would think that anything that came in contact with the lava would instantly burst into flame. I also think that any structure beneath the lava would quickly burn through and leave a deficit.

The angle of the falling lava is the same as the lava on the building, this makes it very difficult to distinguish the difference between the two. It's almost like a curtain of falling lava between the viewer and the building if that makes any sense. Maybe change the angle of the flying lava verses that of the lava hitting, sticking and flowing down the building.

Thanks Sam, I appreciate your comment. I agree with what you say and what you suggest. Though I have the same problem as you to imagine what a scenario like this would look in reality.
I updated my first image with the input from MrTom and you. This is what I came up with.

Empire-State-BuildingLava+.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looking much better! This looks much more volcanic! By reducing the opacity a little, the lava looks much more like its flowing from the windows. The added lava spewing from the top sells it! Great job!

edit: My apologies, I thought that this building was in the path of flying lava before, I did not understand that it was meant to be sort of like the volcano itself!

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I was trying to imagine how lava would flow from the top of a building or out it's windows.

What came to mind has something to do with food again.... lol ... the usual me.

Maple Syrup poured on a 5-piece stack of pancakes..... ever noticed how it runs off the sides? Starts off wide at the top and narrows while running down the sides. I agree with Sam with the lava burn but on solid cement material, looks more like a splat.

The update looks better. I like the eruption effect coming from the top left corner and from the building sides. It's like the real thing having witnessed a violently erupting volcano. Not up close.... but close enough to see the details from afar.

From what I witnessed, molten material or debris strewn from a violent eruption rains down in a slightly straight but outward angled line. Together with chunks of solid glowing rocks and ash. The falling lava you have coming from the top looks like fireworks. And looks like it's curving inwards as it's coming down- not outwards.

Just saying what my mind's eye sees.....

Rene Czepluch

Try adding a just a little smoke. Also - on the top left there is so much lava - the light should be more intesnte on the building.