What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Physiograms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igrecman

Basically they are done by having a light (LED) swing on a string while the camera is on the floor pointing up and in long exposure mode. Of course in total darkness. It's lots of fun to make. I've tried multiple passes, filters and even having the camera on a turntable and a blinking LED..
Even if the resulting picture is not that good, perhaps a small part of it is a masterpiece. And Photoshop filters can be useful to make them more original.

Only this small section was good, compared to the complete picture
F0jaLk5.jpg

Camera on a turntable and use of a blinking LED + a Photoshop filter
8qX5HmK.jpg

Here I think it was a maxed edge enhancing filter
nF8dL3g.jpg

Three different overlapping passes and use of a chrome filter makes the lines look like real metal
2z2HKTO.jpg

Camera on a turntable, thus the crossing passes
O0XvbRk.jpg

Smaller section of the one above but with different PS filters
xRxMR84.jpg

Complete one with the use of many filters and manual obstructions of the lens
aPGkxfj.jpg

Negative colors and diffused with a kleenex over the LED.
7enF1oL.jpg

Attachments

• 7enF1oL.jpg
    7enF1oL.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
and your point is?

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Is that in the wrong thread?
Just wanted to show my take on painting with light and improve it further with Photoshop.

Naaa. Your OK. Thanks for posting them for everyone to see.

Paul

Former Member
Great work Igrecman, loving the first one the blue is very intense, keep it up.

Igrecman

Thanks Paul.
I like this one even more. The use of the glow filter gives interesting results with physiograms. Again, this is only a small part of a complete physiogram that was not a good one.

SyGz7VA.jpg

From a completely missed one I could none the less salvage something like this. Glow filter used again, then colors inverted
h1QUan7.jpg

Last edited:
Some of them are really unique and your technique is not too difficult to try.
This one is my favorite.
Thanks for sharing!

aPGkxfj.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Nice patterns!

In case you are interested, it turns out that it is very, very easy to generate Physiograms using nothing more than Microsoft Excel, any other spreadsheet program, or most mathematical software (eg, Matlab, Mathematica), or any programming language that supports floating point trig calculations.

Generating them in software instead of in hardware (ie, with swinging lights and a camera) enables much higher resolution, arbitrary colors and overlays, and almost any shape that one would get in hardware, plus many that can't be achieved in the real world. Below are a couple of simple examples that I quickly threw together. Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, once you have them as image files, you can apply all the PS techniques that you mentioned in your previous posts.

If you are interested in this approach and know Excel (plus some high school math), I'll be happy to post the spreadsheet itself that I used to generate these.

Cheers,

Tom M
Simulation_of_physiogram_in_Excel.jpg

Simulation_of_physiogram_in_Excel-02.jpg

Igrecman

Yes please, I'd like to know more about this. I'm surprised that it can be done with the apps you mentioned. Although I think random and chance can make wonders out of chaos sometimes, it's a good thing that an outcome can be controlled as this if needed. The grid would have to go though.
There was this post from a user asking precisely about what you posted https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/forum-tutorials/52008-request-light-wave-tutorial.html

---------------

Bellow is a montage (heads swaps mostly) in which I used a physiogram as abstract background. It was mirrored horizontally and shaped a bit with Liquify.
(featuring Milos Raonic and Genie Bouchard)
original http://i.imgur.com/zWX7Y0P.jpg

9DmLvvK.jpg

Last edited:

iDad

Guru
F0jaLk5_i.pngMy version of the 1st image... just playing... Anyone know how i did it? ... 3 steps?

iDad

Guru
Easy....

1. Open file in PS
2. Photoshop the heck out of it
3. Saved the image...

DONE....
thats one way, but seriously 3 steps... comeon Vee just say ,
I don't know lol

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Seriously now....

1. Duplicate layer
2. FLip duplicate Horizontally
3. the secret formula.... set layer to DARKEN ....

TADAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

oiiii..... that gave me a headache.....

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Yes please, I'd like to know more about this. I'm surprised that it can be done with the apps you mentioned. Although I think random and chance can make wonders out of chaos sometimes, it's a good thing that an outcome can be controlled as this if needed. The grid would have to go though.
There was this post from a user asking precisely about what you posted https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/forum-tutorials/52008-request-light-wave-tutorial.html

---------------

Bellow is a montage (heads swaps mostly) in which I used a physiogram as abstract background. It was mirrored horizontally and shaped a bit with Liquify.
(featuring Milos Raonic and Genie Bouchard)
original http://i.imgur.com/zWX7Y0P.jpg

9DmLvvK.jpg

The background reminds me of a result you'd get with the Polar coordinates......

Tom Mann

Guru
Yes please, I'd like to know more about this. I'm surprised that it can be done with the apps you mentioned. Although I think random and chance can make wonders out of chaos sometimes, it's a good thing that an outcome can be controlled as this if needed. The grid would have to go though. There was this post from a user asking precisely about what you posted https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/forum-tutorials/52008-request-light-wave-tutorial.html...
Hi Igrecman -

"...I'm surprised that it can be done with the apps you mentioned...." -

The motion of an object like a 2D pendulum is nothing more than F=ma level physics, so the simulation of the motion boils down to nothing more than math, so it can be done in almost any program that does math and has graphing capabilities.
----------

"...Although I think random and chance can make wonders out of chaos sometimes,..." -

Pure random perturbations, and even varying degrees of chaotic behavior can also be added to the simulation. Unfortunately, the latter gets complicated, so one needs a good bit more math to set up the equations for this.
----------

"...The grid would have to go though...." -

Absolutely. As I'm sure you know, it's trivial to turn off the grid in Excel graphs (or any of the other programs I mentioned).
----------

"...There was this post from a user asking precisely about what you posted..."

Thanks for pointing that out. I saw that thread when I was on a trip and busy, so I couldn't easily answer at that time. That being said, since the OP of that thread didn't sound particularly technical, and since he didn't respond in any way to either your very nice response or Sam's comment, my guess is that he is looking for a "1 button" instant solution, ie, some sort of plugin or action. So, I just posted a reference to this thread in his, but I'll won't respond further unless he specifically asks.
----------

As I promised, attached is a zipped copy of the Excel spreadsheet that I used to generate the simulated physiograms that I posted earlier. All I ask is that if you use it as a starting point to make your own physiogram art, you link to this forum and credit both the forum and me with the following attribution: "Simulated Physiogram provided by Tom Mann in the Photoshop Gurus Forums: https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/show-board/52508-physiograms.html ". If you don't, and I catch you, I'll come back as a zombie and haunt you forever, LOL.

Have fun.

Tom M

View attachment Example_of_Simple_physiogram-2_shared.zip

PS - BTW, only change the 4 parameters in green. The remainder of the numbers (ie, the ones in orange/red) are all calculated and protected. This version is only a simple model, much more complicated models (eg, spirals, modulated widths, etc.) can be made, but I would work on them only if there was substantial interest.

Igrecman

Thanks Tom.
I'll study that with much interest

Edit:
Darn... need to install excell. LOL
Can it work with the online Excell?

--------

View attachment 50483My version of the 1st image... just playing... Anyone know how i did it? ... 3 steps?
I think this is it,
Duplicate Layer - Flip Horizontally Top Layer - Play with the blend option like bellow.

izVptpu.jpg

I got this result
QeenrvW.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
OP: "...Can it work with the online Excell?..."

I've never used any of the on-line versions of Excel (...the last time I looked, there were several imitators, LOL), but the file I posted was in the standard Excel (Office 2014) file format, so if the on-line version can read it that format, it should work. If you find out that the on-line version that you are using requires some other spreadsheet format (eg, Excel 1997, etc.), let me know and if I can, I'll save it in that format, as well.

If there is some problem and you can read it, but it just refuses to run, copy the cell formula into a brand new spreadsheet of your choice, and you should be good to go.

Also, I just double checked by downloading the file I uploaded to this forum, and could read it with no problem.

T

PS - If you want, you could also copy the cell formulae for the x and y coordinates as a function of time, reformat them slightly and use them in almost any math or scientific graphing program that you like (eg, Matlab, MathCAD, Mathematica, Origin, C, C++, Java, etc.), and it should work there, as well. That approach will take a bit more work because you will also have to set up the graphing, but one can't get more general than that.

T

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
iPop, you got me doing it now!

I may have to learn how to do these. It's kinda fun...........

Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 10.26.44 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.