What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire is his enemy

For this composite I worked with both the warp tool and the liquify tool. All "fire layers" or set on negative multiply.
Suggestions and critique is welcome.

Fire is his enemy1400.jpg
click to enlarge

pictures used.jpg
Image sources:
jademacalla.deviantart.com
freegreatpictures.com
cgtextures.com

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hot! I like it. Have you used the Render/Fire filter in PS CC?

ALB68

What does "negative multiply" mean? I that the same as Screen?

Sorry I have a german Photoshop version, and I didn't use the right terms for the layer modes in english.
Maybe be these screenshots will explain.

Layermode normal.jpg

Layermode negativ multiply.jpg

ALB68

So it's just the NORMAL blend mode..OK makes sense.

So it's just the NORMAL blend mode..OK makes sense.

No, the normal blend mode shows the black background of the fire. 1st screenshot.
I use the blend mode shown in the 2nd screenshot, which is called "negativ multiplizieren" in german. In this mode you don't have to mask the fire at all.

ALB68

No, the normal blend mode shows the black background of the fire. 1st screenshot.
I use the blend mode shown in the 2nd screenshot, which is called "negativ multiplizieren" in german. In this mode you don't have to mask the fire at all.

OK..then what is it on MY screen in English?

Sorry Rich 54 and Larry for the confusion.

Gedstar opened my eyes with posting a screenshot of the layer modes. Thank you very much! In this case I worked with "Screen" mode for the fires.

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Hi Chris

So the translation for Screen in Photoshop in German is negativ multiplizieren or in English Negative Multiple
And the German for Screen in the normal sense is Bildschirm, well that's according to Google Translate

Two completely different meanings for the same word

Languages can really mess with your head trying to get around them :shocked:

PS Nice effect by the way!

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...So the translation for Screen in Photoshop in German is negativ multiplizieren...
Nearly...

Its more a description of the way 'screen' mode works rather than a literal translation.

Screen mode takes both layers and 'inverts' them creating a 'negative' as in celluloid film....the opposite to a 'positive'.
It then takes both of those 'negatives' and multiplies them together.
The result is also a 'negative' so once again its 'inverted' to give you a 'positive'....the final result.

So the 'Negativ' part relates to inverting the image rather than a 'negative' number or value.
The 'multiplizieren' part does mean multiply.
Put those together and you get 'Multiply the negatives'.....which is what 'screen' mode does.

You can do this manually by 'inverting' two images and setting both to 'multiply'
Then 'stamp' those to a new layer and invert that too.

manual_screen_mode_A_02.png

The result should be the same as setting the upper layer to 'screen' blend mode.

Hopefully that makes more sense of it......hopefully.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:
Thanks gedstar. Your translation is correct 100%.
Thanks MrTom for your explanation too. Makes sense.

It is once again adobe's "fault" that caused this great confusion, because of this questionable translation. The good side is that I learnt something today.

MrToM

Guru
Thanks Chris.

To be honest the German version makes more sense than the English.....describing what the blend mode does seems far more logical than labelling it 'screen'....I mean, that doesn't tell you anything!

Regards.
MrTom.

Pepper

I'm sorry, but the shadow is bothering me so bad. I would mask it out for a more realistic look but other than that this pic is great. I really like it. :runaway: