What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steampunk Submarine Prototype

In this work I wanted to show that even in the Victorian time experiments with steam-powered submarine boats were performed.
The steam engine I used as the main image, is the largest machine built in Germany, and can be seen in a museum in Bavaria.

As you know, Steampunk is a pure fantasy of a possible future that has never taken place. Nevertheless, it is a wonderful playground for artists of any kind.
I have great joy to produce images in Photoshop, reminiscent of this beautiful but forgotten time.
There is also a good reason for my activity in this area, because I have the opportunity to show my work at an exhibition which takes place in November 2015.

Today I want to show this composite in the forum.
I also ask for critique or suggestions about this work, because it was extremely difficult to show that the industrial hall is in the process to be flooded with water before "launching" begins.

Steam Submarine1400.jpg

new updated version
Steam Submarine1400_new.jpg

Most images I found with Google.
The lady is from here: http://random-acts-stock.deviantart.com/art/Steam-Raider-2-stock-28-120342974
Used images.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chris, I tried hard..............but I could not find anything but excellence with this image! Fantastic work!

Paul

Former Member
Chris you are a talented bloke, with time on your hands obviously:mrgreen: - seriously this is awesome mate.

Tom Mann

Guru
Chris - Being the practical guy that I am, I'm not usually a fan of fantasy images, but I've got to say that is one excellent piece of art. re your request for criticism, I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow and let you know.

And, last, but not least, CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming exhibit in November.

I wish you the best of luck (which you won't need), and much success in terms of critic and audience approval, sales, personal satisfaction, etc.etc.!!!!!

Congrats again!

Tom M

iDad

Guru
You asked so just stating what I noticed right away, it looks to me that the machine is level, so is the floor, that being said, wouldn't the guys in the background be underwater? At least partially? That's the only thing I see that's doesn't make this perfect..... I know it's nitpicking.:mrgreen:

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
hmm, from a critique point of view, the water effect could use some slight reworking here and there, the rest of the image looks really realistic and could easily pass for a photo of an upcycled model or something. but the water effect, in all honesty and no offence meant AT ALL, looks a little unrealistic.

I would attempt to make the bits of the woman and the sub that are under water lower contrast and blurred more with some water distortion (only very slightly)

this is the only problem I could find in this nice freaking job! Congrats on the exhibit place too! it's well deserved :)

@iDad, Thank you for spotting this detail. The 2 guys have to be under water up to their knees, the same as the lady. So I raised the water level a bit.
@Zeealex, Thanks for your kind words and your comment. Check the blur and distortion on my update on the top of the page.

Tom Mann

Guru
Chris, I've been staring at your construct, and while I love your version, there's something about it that has been bothering me -- basically, your concept of steampunk is too bright, shiny, and sharp for me.

My vision is more of a post-apocalyptic, muddy, coal-soot filled, gritty, dark alternative future. This is probably completely at odds with your vision, as well as the other similarly themed art that you have been working on. Anyway, I hope you don't mind, but just to give you an idea of the direction I would have taken this image, I came up with a much darker, distressed version. If you don't want this image in your thread, I completely understand. Just tell me, and I'll immediately remove the image and leave only the text. What I see is not at all a critique of technique, but just a difference in fundamental concept. I'm curious what you think about this.

Best regards,

Tom M

Attachments

• Steam_Submarine1400_new-tjm01_distressed_version-acr-ps02a_sRGB_8bpc-01.jpg
    Steam_Submarine1400_new-tjm01_distressed_version-acr-ps02a_sRGB_8bpc-01.jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 10
Hi Tom,
Thanks for looking and your interesting comment. I appreciate it.

I respect your view about steampunk, but I have to say that steampunk for me does not represent a dark alternative future, rather a glorification of the upper class who could afford to maintain a noble and luxurious lifestyle in the industrialization around the turn of century of 1800-1900.
On the other hand If you look at real objects that are currently produced in steampunk style, these are aesthetically pleasing and often shiny things that represent the lifestyle of the high society of that long forgotten time.

That's why I try to show the glamor of that lost fantasy world in my own composites.
Nevertheless I like your version of my image, and I see no reason to remove it.

I hope other members like it too, and maybe try to create their own images in this style.